Jessica's Reviews > Run Like a Mother: How to Get Moving--and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity

Run Like a Mother by Dimity McDowell

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: completed-in-2011, best-books-my-list
Read in July, 2011

I really enjoyed reading this inspirational book about two mothers and wives who make time for running in their lives. It was a great motivator for me. After finishing it it the wee hours of the morning - I got dressed and went out for a pre-6am 5K run - a thing I have NEVER done.

I'm not sure it's the greatest how to book. I am a recreational jogger, not a marathon trainer or even a race runner, and some of the terms and lingo went right by me. I think there are probably better, more dumbed down training plans for someone like me to follow and other than the basics, a lot of the equipment advice seems to be broad guidelines with a lot of trial and error recommendations (most likely fair, considering the comfort level of different types of running gear is probably very user specific).

What this book did exceptionally well was to motivate and help Moms justify the time they take away from other parts of their lives to run. I think I am like a lot of other mothers and wives of my acquaintance. I have a lot of responsibilities even though I don't work out of the home, and I've somehow appointment myself the loose end tie-er. Everything not previously assigned, accounted for or that falls through the cracks immediately becomes my responsibility, along with a long list of background responsibilities that no one thinks of or worries about. Walking away from those responsibilities and self imposed duties is sometimes really hard to do, especially in the beginning. The authors, Dimity and Sara do an excellent job of supporting would be, soon to be, emerging and full fledged mom runners by surrounding them with their experience, wisdom and a community of other moms finding peace and sanity and clarity and health in a pair of running shoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Run Like a Mother.