Jennifer (Books That Spark)'s Reviews > The Killing Dance

The Killing Dance by Laurell K. Hamilton

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, own-finished-copy
Read in July, 2011

The Killing Dance is the sixth book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. As always, I recommend starting from the beginning of this series with first instalment Guilty Pleasures. I always believe a book series should be read in order to allow the plot lines and character development to flow coherently. This series is no different. Saying this, Hamilton is great at allowing her novels to stand alone.
This instalment differs from the ones before it in that Anita Blake, usually the hunter, becomes the one who's being hunted. For reasons unclear, there has been a half a million bounty put upon her head. Anita, animator and legal vampire executioner, is not one to go down without a fight. The issue is, she has no idea who would want her dead so much. She seeks protection from the two men in her life; alpha werewolf Richard Zeeman and master vampire Jean-Claude. Can the pair put aside their differences and envy to make sure the girl they love lives?
There's a lot more of Richard in this instalment to make up for his lack of presence in previous book Bloody Bones. However, there's just as much of Jean-Claude. I don't want to spoil too much but by the end of the book, Anita has become a lot more intimate with one of her men.
I would rate this book as one of my favourite in the series so far. Although the tables have turned and Anita becomes the one in danger, it remains action packed and exciting. I read this book in one sitting alone as with each chapter, more excitement arose. Hamilton managed to surprise me once again. Even after the identity of the person who wants Anita's death is revealed, Hamilton throws another spanner in the works! I also enjoyed learning more about the history of the werewolves and their structure.
I'd definitely recommend this book and the series as whole to fans of supernatural and mystery. I can't wait to read the next instalment, Burnt Offerings.

www.booksthatspark.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Dance.