Kimberly Fujioka's Reviews > Chang and Eng

Chang and Eng by Darin Strauss

Jul 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

I loved this book from the beginning to the end. It is so much better than I thought because the main character is so multifaceted. It really makes you think about so many things--how our obsessions with other people keep us going. Eng is overly fascinated/obsessed with another character (I won't say who) and it is really insightful how the author keeps it going and, in the process, shows us(the reader) how our obsessions reveal so much about who we are as human beings. We as readers get to know Eng so well just based upon his obsession with this other person. In addition, through this novel I learned so much about the love/hate relationship and deep conflict. Unlike other characters in a novel, these two Chang and Eng cannot get away from each other. They cannot refuse to speak to each other and they cannot run away from each other. Because of that fact alone, we can learn something very precious about being a human being in relation to others. That is what I loved most about this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chang and Eng.