Nicole About Town's Reviews > Born Wicked

Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: penguin, for-review, from-the-publisher, personal-copies, arc
Read on January 04, 2012 — I own a copy

So back in August 2011 I got my first glimpse of the cover of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood and it was love at first sight. I even went on to feature the book as one of my Waiting on Wednesday picks because a cover that pretty deserves to be shared with others. Then I read the synopsis and I knew that I needed to add this one to my wishlist. The only downside was that I had to wait until February 2012 to get my hands on a copy…except I ended up getting a copy at the end of August. I tried, I really tried not to read it right then, but it just kept calling me. I think I lasted like a week before I picked up it up and just devoured it in one sitting. Fast forward to today and I have read Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood three times.

This is not the first time I have been in front of my computer trying to write this review. Indeed, I’ve tried to write this review every time I read the book and I am still at a loss of exactly what to say or how to phrase my review so that I don’t sound like a gushing fan girl moron.

Born Wicked is one of those books where so much happens without really happening. Confused? Well don’t be. Born Wicked is a foundation book. It tells the background, it sets the tone, introduces you to the characters and the world the story takes place in. Born Wicked is written in such a way that while nothing huge is happening at any given time, the story is moving along so fluidly that you really don’t realize it. You get drawn into the story and are able to connect with the characters from the beginning to end. You have plenty of ‘didn’t see that one coming’ moments and usually when you least expect them. Born Wicked is a truly masterful debut that will leave you eagerly anticipating the next instalment in the Cahill Witch Chronicles.

That ending! Oh, that ending! As many times as I have read this book now, the ending still gets me EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Wicked.

09/08/2011 page 10
09/16/2011 page 79
23.94% "Loving it so far!"
09/16/2011 page 152
46.06% "It keeps getting better!"