Estara's Reviews > Heart Search

Heart Search by Robin D. Owens

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: ebook, read-in-2011
Read on August 03, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This transports the Celta timeline 12 years into the future and sets the second generation on their way to love.

I really enjoyed that the sidestory we saw starting in Cratag's and Signet's book developed fully here and that implications of the stronger fams, of the growing immportance of Nuala's Sword, of the growing sentience of Residences and the inequality in treatment between First Families and the rest of the populace are showing in the underpinnings.

I wish the author had more space to dedicate to the worldbuilding, because the few bits she can show are fascinating.

The hero and heroine were very nice, although I found their fams to be more obnoxious than usual. The villains of the piece were satisfyingly bad because the author chose a dark background which happens in many families no matter where they live.

As the length of the book was fairly short the blow-up and estrangement between hero and heroine was a bit wobbly and artificial considering their pasts - but then the heroine let the hero near her MUCH too early even though her abusers had re-entered her life (which I also put down to the length considerations).

So I guess I did not like that the hero's angst was taken seriously and explored in all detail and consequence, and the heroine's wasn't taken seriously by most of the men in her life and I felt her overreaction at the break-up was not taken seriously by the author - otherwise the outside climactic danger might not have worked. I see that as a weakness in the tale.

So it's not one of my favourite Celta book, but better than others and certainly an intriguing look into what else may happen to the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart Search.