Giselle's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Jul 07, 2011

Read from August 12 to 13, 2011

I absolutely loved this book. What an eye opener. In Thirteen Reasons Why we listen to audio tapes that was sent to 13 people by Hannah who committed suicide, to explain her reasons why.

First I want to mention that to all the reviewers who say that her reasons weren't "good enough" for her to kill herself, you're wrong. Everyone doesn't cope with situations the same way, and problems that may seem minimalistic to you, can send the next person into depression. We all have our own ways of working through our issues, and some have a much harder time than others. These were her reasons to commit suicide, which were enough for her, who are we to judge?

Personally I thought it was amazingly done and very realistic. There weren't any embellishments or glorifications, it was true portrayal of teen suicide. We go through the story with Clay while he is listening to Hannah's tapes. The narration goes back and forth between the tapes and what Clay is doing/thinking. I really though this was a great way to pace the story and build up the suspense. And every single page is full of suspense. I really could have stayed up all night reading it.

The story contains a lot of emotions; Intense and raw emotions. We go through them with Hannah as well as Clay, simultaneously. Hearing her tapes makes us realize that our actions, however small, can have a whirlwind of an effect on others. Yes, sending those tapes may have been a little mean. But obviously there was a lot going on with Hannah and she needed to get this out. I don't condone her for it, but I can understand why she thought it necessary.

It's not an easy subject to talk about, and suicide is not something to take lightly. Asher did an amazing job of taking a sensitive subject and writing a very touching, mesmerizing novel.

02/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I 100% agree! I own this book and LOVE it dearly.

Giselle I read it in 2 sittings it was so compelling.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I bought it one day while in Moncton for the weekend and read it all that night in my hotel room! I couldn't believe how amazing it was.

user400 You are so right! this book really helped me.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Wonderful review, Gisellle!

Giselle Thanks ladies!

~Mindy Lynn~ Great review! I read this awhile back. Definitely a book that stays with you long after you've read it.

Kayleigh Sarah I have just started this book and it is amazing! Full of suspense and heartbreaking stories. Beautifully written!

message 9: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali I agree, the reasons people chose for killing themselves are their own. Saying that reasons are "not good enough" I think is frankly heartless.

message 10: by Emad (new)

Emad you are really clever i one hundred percent agree with you.

Adriana I agree 100% finally someone that understands!

Irleneybug I couldn't agree more! :)

Ellon <3 your review! You explained it perfectly!

Shelby Riese I completely agree with what you said about everyone coping with situations differently. Sometimes we think that everyone thinks in the exact same way as we do, when instead we should be trying to see things from their perspective. I also liked how it was told from Hannah and Clay's perspectives. That way, we could know what Hannah was thinking in the days before her suicide, and also know what Clay was thinking as her cared for Hannah. I too believe that the author did a terrific job of using humor without making the weighty subject of suicide seem like a joke.

Natalie I agree too. When my twin and I were watching the Amanda Todd youtube video, my twin said she was stupid for flashing a guy and hooking up with a guy who had a girlfriend. Then drinking bleach because she saw her photo on a Facebook page.

Hannah TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU @laurenm41

Latasha Finally! Someone said it! No one gets to say what's "enough" to commit suicide. She was raped and bullied. One of those two reasons alone has cause teens to commit suicide. When every experience you have is negative then it's very understandable to me. I just don't understand the people saying how unrealistic the reasons for her suicide was. Read a newspaper or an article about a teen who has committed suicide and see just how realistic Hannah's reasons were. If you believe her reasons were unrealistic it just goes to show how out of touch with reality you really are because suicide happens for the reasons Hannah gave. Rant is over.

Taylor Ritchey What do you think the significance of "Thirteen Reasons Why" is? I also very much agree I thought this book was very intense and interesting!

Giselle It's the 13 reasons why she killed herself.

Taylor Ritchey What I was asking is why do you think this book was written and the importance of it?

message 21: by Nina (new)

Nina Peci I don't really agree (not to be offensive) but it wasn't realistic I've attempted sucrose and am diagnosed with depression and from my perspective it's just not, well realistic at all.

message 22: by Uma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Uma Legorreta Giselle, I liked that you commented that the reasons why Hannah killed herself were good enough because everyone copes differently. I didn't understand it at first, but I guess not everyone gives that much importance to certain things.

Roberto Rg Giselle I agree that it was eyeopener because many teens commit suicide and the reasons are there, we just don't see them.

message 24: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess Haven't read this yet, but LOVED your review!! Well said!!!

Kimberly I think some people who criticize this book are missing a huge point. Hannah felt alone. The only "person" she ever really talked to was a tape recorder. Maybe if she'd had someone she could talk to (as Clay said), she wouldn't have done it.