Sonie's Reviews > Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Okay, I have finished the book already and even now I am still not sure how I feel about the conclusion of the story. But before I tell anything, I just wanted to let you guys know that Clockwork Princess is a masterpiece for me. Miss Clare, you have, yet again, amazed me on how wonderfully written this book was. I admit on being a blubbering fool and crying (noiselessly as I can) for the most part of the book. Your words had me anticipating what my next reaction and emotion might bring to me. This conclusion had answered so many questions that had been raised in the Mortal Instruments, and hopefully in the Dark Artifices, series. Most of my previous hunches came true and some slightly wrong. This book is truly worth the wait and I enjoyed devouring it for 9 hours.

I love the Infernal Devices series, since book one, they brought nothing but sheer emotions, love and understanding for the characters in the book and I expect nothing less in this one. The time is running and Will, Tessa and Jem are fighting hard for the people they love and care about. The one thing I love the most in this series is the Will-Tessa-Jem love triangle. They hold the spot for being the best love triangle in my heart and nothing will ever replace them. The thing about them is even if they (Will and Tessa) know that they are hurting, they continued to do what is right. The love between them is meant for them to draw strength from one another and not to destroy, the sacrifice each were willing to make to ensure that the girl both Will and Jem loved would be safe was astounding and I don't think there is no greater love than that. For me, their unique relationship is what make the three of them whole. Jem is what grounds Will to humanity and brought hope upon Tessa that she can still be loved whatever she is and made her hope for the future; Will is whom Jem cherish the most, not because they're parabatai but because he understands and believes in Will and he is Tessa's first love and heartbreak; Tessa is what drove Will to fight for his future and break his curse and it is her love that drove Jem to live his life, however short it might be, to the fullest. The three of them are all part of each other (however convoluted it might be) and you can't remove one without hurting the other two, they made each other whole.

In this book, I finally understood how impossible it is for Tessa to love only one boy and I deeply feel for her. I am one of those people who believed that one can't love two people at the same time equally, but Tessa had proven me wrong. She would do absolutely everything just to have Jem live longer and love him wholeheartedly without lessening what she feels for Will. It is such a confusing thing but I truly understand her. Tessa is willing to sacrifice, even herself, if it means saving the people she considered her family. Tessa, as a character, had grown more from the last book (if it's possible). Her strength, courage, hope, faith and love never faltered and it continued to grow. Her love for both Jem and Will still continued to grow and was explored deeply. Tessa's heritage was revealed and it was really not as much as a shock for me but I am also happy that Miss Clare had already cleared it up.

Jem is always the sweetheart, so the slight changes in his character was more than welcome since it showed me a different side of him. His willingness to live for Tessa and Will supersede anything else. And in doing so, he took matters into his own hands and sped the process of his impending death. His love for Tessa is pure and selfless and I can't fault him for that but it hurts me to see him with Tessa knowing that Will is suffering in silence. But Jem is very noble and kind and I loved him for it (view spoiler)

Will is ever a hero for me, even when he had been pushing all those who cared about him away. I like him a lot and I have shared his pain and suffering. Even if I think I know all about Will, he still had surprised me with the little bits of information that he had shared throughout the book,specially when it comes to his sister, Cecily. I have known Will as a brother to Jem but not to Cecily and this book had expound that relationship. However trying and hard it might be, Will kept his promise and distance himself with the gir he loved and only hoped the his parabatai would live for a long time and never learned of his love for Tessa. His grief, pain and sense of abandonment (view spoiler) was so profound that I can barely see through my tears. But he once again surprised me with his strength and will to survive for he had picked himself up and did what he must.

Other characters such as Charlotte, Henry, Gideon, Sophie, Cecily, Gabriel, Magnus and even Bridget played an integral part to the story. They have added the spice and thrill in this adventure and I enjoyed reading through them. They provided me a sense of peace and happiness knowing that our main characters have them at their side and they loved each other as a family. I wouldn't even spare a second for Mortmain, I don't really care about him. These supporting characters had done a many wonderful things in this book, and as much as I want to expound them,I'd better not lest I slipped up.

As the plot thickens, more secrets had been revealed that would/had affect/affected the TMI series. I am barely controlling myself into filling this review with spoilers but I don't want to be hated. There are so many things that had happened in this book and they are not fit to be summarized. But I think I kind of like the ending though. But even through the Epilogue I was still crying. The ending was superb, but at first I wasn't that thrilled with what happened. But as the shock wore off, I think it all made sense. I wouldn't have thought of a better ending than that. As much as I will miss these wonderful characters and their story, I was still glad that it has come to an end and I am more than happy to be a part of this wonderful story.

I LOVE YOU, CASSIE! PLEASE MAKE MORE WONDERFUL STORIES LIKE THIS! :D <3
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Princess.

Quotes Sonie Liked

Cassandra Clare
“And indeed it was, the arrow still protruding from its wet, grayish skin, humping its body along with incredible speed. A flick of its tail caught the edge of a statue, sending it flying into the dry ornamental pool, where it shattered into dust.

“By the Angel, it just crushed Sophocles,” noted Will. “Has no one respect for the classics these days?”

Cassandra Clare
“What are you doing following me around the back streets of London, you little idiot?” Will demanded, giving her arm a light shake.

Cecily’s eyes narrowed. “This morning it was cariad (note: Welsh endearment, like ‘darling’ or ‘love’), now it’s idiot.”

“Oh, you’re using a Glamour rune. There’s one thing to declare, you are not afraid of anything when you live in the country. But this is London.”

“I’m not afraid of London,” Cecily said defiantly.

Will leaned closer, almost hissing in her ear *and said something very complicated in Welsh*

She laughed. “No, it wouldn’t do you any good to tell me to go home. You are my brother, and I want to go with you.”

Will blinked at her words.

You are my brother, and I want to go with you.

It was the sort of thing he was used to hearing Jem say.

Although Cecily was unlike Jem in every other conceivable possible way, she did share one quality with him. Stubbornness. When Cecily said she wanted something, it did not express an idle desire, but an iron determination.

“Do you even care where I’m going?” he said. “What if I were going to hell?”

“I’ve always wanted to see hell,” Cecily said. “Doesn’t everyone?”

“Most of us spend our time trying to stay out of it, Cecily. I’m going to an ifrit den, if you must know, to purchase drugs from vile, dissolute criminals. They may clap eyes on you, and decide to sell you.”

“Wouldn’t you stop them?”

“I suppose it would depend on whether they cut me a part of the profit.”

She shook her head. “Jem is your parabatai,” she said. “He is your brother, given to you by the Clave, but I am your sister by blood. Why would you do anything for him, but you only want me to go home?”

“How do you know the drugs are for Jem?” Will said.

“I’m not an idiot, Will.”

“No, more’s the pity. Jem- Jem is like the better part of me. I would not expect you to understand. I owe him. I owe him this.”

“So what am I?” Cecily said.

Will exhaled, too desperate to check himself. “You are my weakness.”

“And Tessa is your heart,” she said, not angrily, but thoughtfully. “I am not fooled. As I told you, I’m not an idiot. And more’s the pity for you, although I suppose we all want things we can’t have.”

“Oh,” said Will, “and what do you want?”

“I want you to come home.” A strand of black hair was stuck to her cheek by the dampness, and Will fought the urge to pull her cloak closer about her, to make her safe as he had when she was a child.

“The Institute is my home,” Will sighed, and leaned his head against the stone wall. “I can’t stand out her arguing with you all evening, Cecily. If you’re determined to follow me into hell, I can’t stop you.”

“Finally,” she said provingly. “You’ve seen sense. I knew you would, you’re related to me.”

Will fought the urge to shake her.

“Are you ready?”

She nodded, and he raised his hand to knock on the door.”

Cassandra Clare
“She leaned forward and caught at his hand, pressing it between her own. The touch was like white fire through his veins. He could not feel her skin only the cloth of her gloves, and yet it did not matter. You kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire. He had wondered once why love was always phrased in terms of burning. The conflagration in his own veins, now, gave the answer.”

Cassandra Clare
“If Jem dies, I cannot be with Tessa,” said Will. “Because it will be as if I were waiting for him to die, or took some joy in his death, if it let me have her. And I will not be that person. I will not profit from his death. So he must live.” He lowered his arm, his sleeve bloody. “It is the only way any of this can ever mean anything. Otherwise it is only —”

“Pointless, needless suffering and pain? I don’t suppose it would help if I told you that was the way life is. The good suffer, the evil flourish, and all that is mortal passes away,” Magnus said.

“I want more than that,” said Will. “You made me want more than that. You showed me I was only ever cursed because I had chosen to believe myself so. You told me there was possibility, meaning. And now you would turn your back on what you created.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem drew the bow back and let the arrow fly; it struck the creature in the side. The massive demon worm writhed in agony, undulating as it swept its great, blind head from side to side, uprooting shrubbery with its thrashings. Leaves filled the air and the boys choked on dust, Gideon backing up with his seraph blade in his hand, trying to see by its light.

“It’s coming toward us,” he said in a low voice.

Cassandra Clare
“By the Angel, Bridget’s depressing,” said Henry, setting down his newspaper directly on his plate and causing the edge to soak through with egg yolk. Charlotte opened her mouth as if to object, and closed it again. “It’s all heartbreak, death and unrequited love.”
“Well, that is what most songs are about,” said Will. “Requited love is nice, but it doesn’t make much of a ballad.”

Cassandra Clare
“No one can say that death found in me a willing comrade, or that I went easily.”

Cassandra Clare
“Gabriel’s green eyes sought Will. “It was demon pox, wasn’t it? You know all about it, don’t you? Aren’t you some sort of expert?”
“Well, you needn’t act as if I invented it,” said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“I would have thought even a certified idiot like Gabriel here would have taken account of it and notified someone."
"Notified who?" asked Jem, not unreasonably. He had moved closer to Tessa as the conversation had continued. As they stood side by side, the backs of their hands brushed.
"The Clave. The postman. Us. Anyone," said Will, shooting an irritated look at Gabriel, who was starting to get some color back and looked furious.
"I am not a certified idiot—"
"Lack of certification hardly proves intelligence," Will muttered.”

Cassandra Clare
“And maybe it would have bitten you in half," said Will. "What you are describing, the transformation into a demon, is the last stage of the pox."
"Will!" Charlotte threw up her hands. "Why didn't you say so?"
"You know, the books on demon pox are in the library," Will said with an injured tone. "I wasn't preventing anyone from reading them."
"Yes, but if Benedict was going to turn into an enormous serpent, you'd think you could at least have mentioned it," said Charlotte. "As a matter of general interest.”

Cassandra Clare
“You kindled me, heap of ashes that I am, into fire. He had wondered once why love was always phrased in terms of burning. The conflagration in his own veins, now, gave the answer.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes one must choose whether to be kind or honorable," he said. "Sometimes one cannot be both.”

Cassandra Clare
“A forty-foot worm?" Will muttered to Jem as they moved through the Italian garden, their boots - thanks to a pair of Soundless runes - making no noise on the gravel. "Think of the size of the fish we could catch."
Jem's lips twitched. "It's not funny, you know."
"It is a bit."
"You cannot reduce the situation to worm jokes, Will. This is Gabriel and Gideon's father we're discussing."
"We're not just discussing him; we're chasing him through an ornamental sculpture garden because he's turned into a worm."
"A demonic worm," said Jem, pausing to peer cautiously around a hedgerow. "A great serpent. Would that help your inappropriate humor?"
"There was a time when my inappropriate humor brough you a certain amusement," sighed Will. "How the worm has turned.”

Cassandra Clare
“And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done beating.”

Cassandra Clare
“Some secrets, she thought, were better told; some were better left the burden of the carrier, that they might not cause pain to others.”

Cassandra Clare
“Forsooth, I no longer toil in vain,
To prove that demon pox warps the brain.
So though 'ti pity, it's not in vain
That the pox-ridden worm was slain:
For to believe in me, you all must deign.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all very romantic," Gabriel said, and then frowned. "Or it would be, if my brother could get a word out without sounding like a choking frog. I fear he will not go down in history as one of the world's greatest wooers of women.”

Cassandra Clare
On a Tuesday they were wed
And by Friday they were dead
And they buried them in the churchyard side by side,
Oh, my love,
And they buried them in the churchyard side by side.

Cassandra Clare
“Every meeting led to a parting, and so it would, as long as life was mortal. In every meeting there was some of the sorrow of parting, but in everything parting there was some of the joy of meeting as well.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have heard sometimes that men who lose an arm of a leg still feel that pain in those limbs, though they are gone,' said Will. 'It is like that sometimes. I can feel Jem with me, though he is gone, and it is like I am missing a part of myself.”

Cassandra Clare
“Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read.”

Cassandra Clare
“I don't know how to live in the world as a Shadowhunter without Will. I don't think i even want to. I am still a parabatai, but my other half is gone.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem touched the parabatai rune on his shoulder, through the thin material of his nightshirt. "I am not alone," he said. "Wherever we are, we are as one.”

Cassandra Clare
“Men may be stronger, but it is women who endure.”

Cassandra Clare
“So you are dying for love, then," Will said finally, his voice sounding constricted to his own ears.
'Dying a little faster for love. And there are worse things to die for.”

Cassandra Clare
“You endure what is unbearable, and you bear it. That is all.”

Cassandra Clare
“Magnus took a deep breath and spoke gently. “Will. You asked me for my wisdom, as someone who has lived many lifetimes and buried many loves. I can tell you that the end of a life is the sum of the love that was lived in it, that whatever you think you have sworn, being here at the end of Jem’s life is not what is important. It was being here for every other moment. Since you met him, you have never left him and never not loved him. That is what matters.”

Cassandra Clare
“Haven’t I?” Magnus said, and then smiled at him. “Will, you treat me as a human being, a person like yourself; rare is the Shadowhunter who treats a warlock like that. I am not so heartless that I would call in a favor from a brokenhearted boy. One who I think, by the way, will be a very good man someday. So I will tell you this. I will stay here when you go, and I will watch over your Jem for you, and if he wakes, I will tell him where you went, and that it was for him. And I will do what I can to preserve his life: I do not have yin fen, but I do have magic, and perhaps there is something in an old spell book I might find that can help him.”

Cassandra Clare
“Atque in pepetuum, frater, ave atque vale,” he whispered. The words of the poem had never seemed so fitting: Forever and ever, my brother, hail and farewell.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem’s eyes had widened, and then he’d laughed, a soft laugh. “Did you think I did not know you had a secret?” he’d said. “Did you think I walked into my friendship with you with my eyes shut? I did not know the nature of the burden you carried. But I knew there was a burden.” He’d stood up. “I knew you thought yourself poison to all those around you,” he’d added. “I knew you thought there to be some corruptive force about you that would break me. I meant to show you that I would not break, that love was not so fragile. Did I do that?”

Cassandra Clare
“And maybe you should stop pitying yourself,” he said. “Most people are lucky to have even one great love in their life. You have found two.”

Cassandra Clare
“Who am I?” he whispered. “For years I pretended I was other than I was, and then I gloried that I might return to the truth of myself, only to find there is no truth to return to. I was an ordinary child, and then I was a not very good man, and now I do not know how to be either of those things any longer. I do not know what I am, and when Jem is gone, there will be no one to show me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will and Tessa were in the carriage now, and their driver was snapping the reins. 'Do you think there’s a chance for him?'
'A chance for who?'
'Will Herondale. To be happy.'
Woolsey sighed gustily and put down his glass. 'Is there a chance for you to be happy if he isn’t?'
Magnus said nothing.
'Are you in love with him?' Woolsey asked—all curiosity, no jealousy. Magnus wondered what it was like to have a heart like that, or rather to have no heart at all.
'No,' Magnus said. 'I have wondered that, but no. It is something else. I feel that I owe him. I have heard it said that when you save a life, you are responsible for that life. I feel I am responsible for that boy. If he never finds happiness, I will feel I have failed him. If he cannot have that girl he loves, I will feel I have failed him. If I cannot keep his parabatai by him, I will feel I failed him.”

Cassandra Clare
“But you are not,” Magnus said. “He is not dead, Will. He lives because you let him go. He would have stayed with you and died, if you had asked it, but you loved him enough to prefer that he live, even if that life is separate from yours. And that above all things proves that you are not Sydney Carton, Will, that yours is not the kind of love that can be redeemed only through destruction. It is what I saw in you, what I have always seen in you, what made me want to help you. That you are not despairing. That you have in you an infinite capacity for joy.” He put one gloved hand under Will’s chin and lifted Will’s face. There were not many people Will had to raise his head to look in the eye, but Magnus was one. “Bright star,” Magnus said, and his eyes were thoughtful, as if he were remembering something, or someone. “Those of you who are mortal, you burn so fiercely. And you fiercer than most, Will. I will not ever forget you.”

Cassandra Clare
“And broken both your hearts? How would that have benefited me? You are as dear to me as another half of my soul, Jem. I could not be happy while you were unhappy. And Tessa—she loves you. What sort of awful monster would I be, delighting in causing the two people I love the most in the world agony simply that I might have the satisfaction of knowing that if Tessa could not be mine, she could not be anybody’s?”

Cassandra Clare
“Will,” Jem said. “For all these years I have tried to give you what you could not give yourself.”

Will’s hands tightened on Jem’s, which were as thin as a bundle of twigs. “And what is that?”

“Faith,” said Jem. “That you were better than you thought you were. Forgiveness, that you need not always punish yourself. I always loved you, Will, whatever you did. And now I need you to do for me what I cannot do for myself. For you to be my eyes when I do not have them. For you to be my hands when I cannot use my own. For you to be my heart when mine is done with beating.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will bit at his lip. This was the last time Jem, as Jem, might ever touch him. The sharp memory went through him like a knife—of years of Jem’s light tap on his shoulder, his hand reaching to help Will up when he fell, Jem holding him back when he was furious, Will’s own hands on Jem’s thin shoulders as Jem coughed blood into his shirt. “Listen to me. I am leaving, but I am living. I will not be gone from you entirely, Will. When you fight now, I will be still by you. When you walk in the world, I will be the light at your side, the ground steady under your feet, the force that drives the sword in your hand. We are bound, beyond the oath. The Marks did not change that. The oath did not change that. It merely gave words to something that existed already.”

Cassandra Clare
“We spoke of how to say good-bye,” Jem said. “When Jonathan bid farewell to David, he said, ‘Go in peace, for as much as we have sworn, both of us, saying the Lord be between me and thee, forever.’ They did not see each other again, but they did not forget. So it will be with us. When I am Brother Zachariah, when I no longer see the world with my human eyes, I will still be in some part the Jem you knew, and I will see you with the eyes of my heart.”

Cassandra Clare
“I should have known what you would do,” Jem said in a low voice. “I always know what you will do. I should have known you would put your hands into the fire.”

“And I should have known you would throw that packet away,” said Will, without rancor. “It was—it was a madly noble thing to do. I understand why you did it.”

“I was thinking of Tessa.” Jem drew his knees up and rested his chin on them, then laughed softly. “Madly noble. Isn’t that meant to be your area of expertise? Suddenly I am the one who does ridiculous things and you tell me to stop?”

“God,” said Will. “When did we change places?”

The firelight played over Jem’s face and hair as he shook his head. “It is a very strange thing, to be in love,” he said. “It changes you.”

Will looked down at Jem, and what he felt, more than jealousy, more than anything else, was a wistful desire to commiserate with his best friend, to speak of the feelings he held in his heart. For were they not the same feelings? Did they not love the same way, the same person? But, “I wish you wouldn’t risk yourself,” was all he said.

Jem stood up. “I have always wished that about you.”

Will raised his eyes, so drowsy with sleep and the tiredness that came with healing runes that he could see Jem only as a haloed figure of light. “Are you going?”

“Yes, to sleep.” Jem touched his fingers lightly to Will’s healing hands. “Let yourself rest, Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“To lose an arm or a leg would be painful, but to lose the central truth of your life felt—fatal.”

Cassandra Clare
“If I had not been a Shadowhunter, I would have had a future on the stage. I have no doubt I would have been greeted with acclaim.”

Cassandra Clare
“I thought perhaps that when you told me you did not love me that my own feelings would fall away and atrophy, but they have not. They have grown every day. I love you now more desperately, this moment, than I have ever loved you before, and in an hour I will love you more than that”

Cassandra Clare
“You hear that, James Carstairs? We are bound, you and I, over the divide of death, down through whatever generations may come. Forever.

Cassandra Clare
“Their oldest child, James, had spoken laughingly about Will's unrelenting fear of ducks and his continual battle to keep them out of the pond at the family home in Yorkshire.”

Cassandra Clare
“Their grandchildren had reminded Will of the song about demon pox he had taught them- when they were much too young, Tessa had always thought- and that they had all memorized. They sang it all together and out of tune, scandalizing Sophie.”

Cassandra Clare
“Always when Will did something to protect Tessa, Jem thought it was for his sake, not for Will's. Always Will wished Jem could be entirely right. Each needle prick had it own name. Guilt. Shame. Love.”

Cassandra Clare
“I am not going to live, and I can choose to be as much for her as I can be, to burn as brightly for her as I wish, and for a shorter time, than to burden her with someone only half-alive for a longer time. It is my choice, William, and you cannot make it for me.”

Cassandra Clare
“There is more to living than not dying.

Cassandra Clare
“You want this?" His voice was hoarse.
"Yes," she said. "Do you?"
His finger traced the outline of her mouth. "For this I would have been damned forever. For this I would have given up everything."
She felt the burn behind her eyes, the pressure of tears, and blinked wet eyelashes. "Will ..."
"Dw i'n dy garu di am byth," he said. "I love you. Always." And he moved to cover her body with his own.”

Cassandra Clare
“You might want to get up," he said. "Everyone will be here quite soon to rescue you, and you may prefer to have clothes on when they arrive." He shrugged. "I would, at any rate, but then, I am well known to be remarkably shy.”