fooloveratook 's Reviews > The Catastrophic History of You and Me

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: book-review, cover-lust, family, favorites, loved, need-to-purchase, paranormal-romance, young-adult
Read from March 11 to 15, 2012

Rating: Special Shelf
Source: Borrowed

my thoughts in a few sentences: Oh, gosh. *tries to breathe* Jess Rothenberg reins nothing in, leaving emotion strewn about in just about every place we stumble across through Brie's wrenching journey to peace and acceptance. Right within the first couple of chapters, my face was openly drenched for all to witness my sorrow and grief, mourning the loss of a young character's life—a character, incidentally, who I barely knew at the start yet I wept for this world Rothenberg exposes to us since it was now bereft of such a bright, happy girl with a deeply loving family, which includes a little brother who will be deprived of his older sister's presence in the years of his life to come. Literal heartbreak as a story concept isn't as corny as it initially sounds; a dagger breaks into our hearts every time Rothenberg pumps anguish into her words and into the discoveries she unveils.

Full Review on My Blog »

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catastrophic History of You and Me.

03/11/2012 page 3
03/12/2012 page 400
100.0% "I. LOVED. This. Definitely special shelf."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah (saz101) EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASHER! YOU'RE READING THE CATASTROPHIC HISTORY OF YOU AND ME! Did you know??? Eep! I hope you love it! ♥♥♥

fooloveratook I am :DD I'm already smiling :)

Sarah (saz101) :D:D:D:D
I LOVE the first page. Harry Met Sally, The Princess Bride... DISNEY! I die.

fooloveratook The 80's songs in the titles, the references, AH. I'm only a few pages in, and I'm having a hard time finishing up reading other people's blogs because I want to keep going. :D I'm already in love with the MC's voice.

Sarah (saz101) I know! I loved that she sounded her age, but not in annoying way? She was so sweet, funny, and charming and, aaaah! LOVE! I love her family, and friends, and... Oh, it's so good!

fooloveratook Yeah. There weren't a thousand likes or ums and so forth. She speaks intelligently, but fluidly and very much in tune with how our species speak. I'm 17 and I can vouch for her *LOL*

I'm already hurting for her loved ones, bro. I'm hurting deep. The little bro, Jack, aw man... *tries not to cry*

Sarah (saz101) EXACTLY. She has this bubbly, chatty, very teen tone, but she's smart and funny and witty, and YES! No 'likes', and 'uhs', and... she sounds real. Not like a patronising deirision of teens who are every bit as clever as the authors who write the books. LOVED it.

GET.
OUT.
WTF?

You are not 17 O_____O

OK, not because you look old, but I totally thought you were older! Uh... Wow :D

fooloveratook The wittiness is what's getting to me. It's like to talking to a really funny friend and not wanting to end the conversation because of how awesome that person's company is. I don't feel like Rothenberg is trying to be down, cool, hip. Whatevs. It's all very genuine.

Er, maybe I shouldn't have said that. Hope I haven't disillusioned you too severely XD I'll be 18 in August. I'm taking that as a compliment though :D

Sarah (saz101) "I don't feel like Rothenberg is trying to be down, cool, hip. Whatevs. It's all very genuine."

YES. EXACTLY.

Oh, no, it's fine. I just feel like a creepy adult stalking a tender, young teen, now. It's all good XD
Mwaha! Noooo, it's totally a compliment! I mean... I know people twice MY age that can't express themselves half as eloquently as you do, and your writing and reviews are amazing... and. I don't know how to say it without it sounding like I think all people under the age of 20 and cave people. It's not what I mean... you sound, uh, mature? :D

fooloveratook *cracks up* Nah, it's cool. I kind of don't spread my age around, but it's unintentional. I assume that people think I'm in high school or something, but... I guess not. XD And I know how you meant it. I think it comes down to my reading and writing more than most teens my age. Otherwise, you probably wouldn't be able to stand the sight of me, much less speak to me! XDDD

Sarah (saz101) Psh, no, you're awesome, I'd speak to you even if you were an illiterate Neanderthal ;D

fooloveratook *LOL* Really? Because I wouldn't even talk to me. But that just shows that you <3 me enough to get past our differences. xD

Sarah (saz101) Seriously. Clearly you underestimate the level of your awesome.

fooloveratook *nods* That would makes sense. It explains why I cry when people try to explain it to me. XD