Ernesto's Reviews > The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Quotes Ernesto Liked

Jean-Dominique Bauby
“The memory of that event has only just come back to me, now doubly painful: regret for a vanished past and, above all, remorse for lost opportunities. Mithra-Grandchamp is the women we were unable to love, the chances we failed to seize, the moments of happiness we allowed to drift away. Today it seems to me that my whole life was nothing but a string of those small near misses: a race whose result we know beforehand but in which we fail to bet on the winner.”
Jean-Dominique Bauby, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: A Memoir of Life in Death

Jean-Dominique Bauby
“If I must drool, I may as well drool on cashmere.”

Jean-Dominique Bauby
“I need to feel strongly, to love and admire, just as desperately as I need to breathe.”

Jean-Dominique Bauby
“Other letters simply relate the small events that punctuate the passage of time: roses picked at dusk, the laziness of a rainy Sunday, a child crying himself to sleep. Capturing the moment, these small slices of life, these small gusts of happiness, move me more deeply than all the rest. A couple of lines or eight pages, a Middle Eastern stamp or a suburban postmark . . . I hoard all these letters like treasure. One day I hope to fasten them end to end in a half-mile streamer, to float in the wind like a banner raised to the glory of friendship.
It will keep the vultures at bay.”