Julia's Reviews > 2:46: Aftershocks: Stories from the Japan Earthquake

2 by Jake Adelstein

Jul 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

I loved this book. I lived in Japan and I really felt that this book captured many of the feelings that the ex-pats have - the intense connection one feels to this country after living there, even if it is briefly. I liked that each entry was short and highlighted a personal experience, but as you continued to read the book, you could see common threads and themes. I was surprised at some of the themes and issues that came out - the feelings about leaving or not leaving and how people felt about those who left. The whole concept of the book was amazing, too. I think this is a book that anyone and everyone would enjoy and connect with - and should take the time to read. It made a big event very personal and highlighted many issues that were pertinent for all of us to consider. I particularly found it interesting to see the themes of how media coverage was done vs. social media - it was an amazing look at how our world is changing with communication. The money for this book goes to charity, but for some reason, it was available for free on kindle - I was kind of bummed not to pay, as i wanted the money to go to their charity, but maybe Amazon is donating?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2.