Kevin's Reviews > Erasing Hell: What God Said about Eternity, and the Things We've Made Up

Erasing Hell by Francis Chan

208149
Jul 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

This is how you handle the subject of hell and respond to growing the debate about it withing popular and Christian culture.

Agree or disagree with Chan, he handles it with grace and compassion. Sure, this is a traditional evangelical view of hell but he takes you step by step through why and how he came to the conclusions he came to. He lists his sources, provides additional details in the notes, and is careful to take his interpretation beyond what can be found in scripture.

I especially appreciated the fact that he doesn't duck the fact that references to hell are frequently linked directly to ungodly actions - to sin. In other words, hell is not just linked to wrong theology or belief but to actions that do not reflect following Jesus. Few evangelicals that I have read acknowledge this tension with salvation by grace alone.

I think this is the type of book you could give to someone you disagree with and look for actual engagement and discussion.

All that said, and despite the fact that when it comes down to it I am closer to Chan in my theology than Bell, Love Wins is a totally different style of book and approach to the subject. Chan does what so many wanted Bell to do: approach it in almost an academic way and provide a more systematic and detailed approach.

If you agree with Chan about hell, I think this is a great book to read to see how to make argument effectively. If you disagree with Chan, I think this is a book worth reading because of the style and tone and the mature presentation of the traditional perspective (some would say orthodox).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erasing Hell.