Lesley's Reviews > Ecstasy

Ecstasy by Bella Andre

Jul 07, 2011

it was ok
Read on July 07, 2011

This story could have worked really well. The premise is promising: heroine, a wannabe erotica writer, meets hero, a well-known established erotica writer, at a conference for erotic writers. Sparks fly, and he agrees to mentor her. He arranges 5 lessons to teach her about writing erotic novels. The schedule gets derailed when they end up having hot sex in the middle of lesson 1, and the relationship and story (what little there is of it) goes from there.

As I said, this could have been good...but it wasn't. I can forgive the fact that despite this story being billed as "contemporary romance" it was most definitely erotica, though I can certainly see why others would be unhappy to discover that. I am not a frequent reader of erotica, but don't mind it if it is written well, and there is a substantial story to carry it. Sadly, this book does not belong in that category. While great attention was paid to the sex scenes, the rest of the story was completely flat, one-dimensional, and implausible. The hero and heroine both inexplicably do things that are out of character- for one thing, I can't buy that a relatively sexually inexperienced, former Catholic school good girl, would strip down naked in a complete stranger's house, no matter what the circumstances were. Toward the end, when the "big deception" is revealed to the hero, he vows revenge, but then completely does an about-face instead...WTF?? There was so much that was ridiculous and/or did not make any logical sense.

I gave this book the second star only because the sex scenes were done very well. The author should have added Lesson Six: Developing Your Characters and Plot, because the sex was all that was good about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ecstasy.

03/20/2016 marked as: read