Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: ya, favorites, read-in-2012
Read from January 12 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

4.5/5 stars
Warning for the ladies: Do Not Wear Mascara While Reading this book.

I was sitting at my sister's soccer banquet reading The Fault in Our Stars (nerd alert). I kept anticipating someone coming up and asking me what I was reading. Which left me dumbfounded. The only thing that popped into my head was, "It's not a Cancer Book!"

You know the books I'm talking about. If you are my age you probably read Lurlene McDaniel's One Last Wish series when you were younger. Or maybe you've given Nicholas Sparks Cancer Books a try. At first glance, that assessment seems unfair. Both of the main characters are cancer patients. So how can I possibly say that it's not a Cancer Book? Because this book is about much more than death, much more than the Noble Cancer Patient Battling Triumphantly. This is a book about life, because even in the face of dying, what Esther and Augustus are struggling with is life.

It's a book that asks the Big Questions. Questions about what it means to be human, what it means to be alive and what happens after death. It's a thought provoking novel, where cancer is the driving force but not the whole story.

Even in the midst of being brilliantly deep, it's also delightfully snarky. To me, that is realism. Very few people sit around thinking deep thoughts all the time. People are deep, people are angry and people are silly, none of these excludes the others. Hazel is both introspective and human, contemplating oblivion, then complaining about Cancer Perks or how her lungs suck at being lungs.

"I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman. Now Die."

The characters talk about cancer differently than in any Cancer Book I've ever read. They sound like real teenagers, albeit extremely intelligent ones, who have already discovered the sad truth that the world is not fair. Or as they say "The world is not a wish-granting factory."

The book goes between being funny and heart-wrenching in a way that I don't think has ever been done. Normally you have "books that make me laugh" then on another shelf "books that make me cry." Very rarely do you have books that make you do both. It's hard for a book to balance both humor and poignancy, but John Green manages to do that perfectly with The Fault in Our Stars.

Quotes Cassi aka Snow White Liked

John Green
“I missed the future. Obviously I knew even before his recurrence that I'd never grow old with Augustus Waters. But thinking about Lidewij and her boyfriend, I felt robbed. I would probably never again see the ocean from thirty thousand feet above, so far up that you can't make out the waves or any boats, so that the ocean is a great and endless monolith. I could imagine it. I could remember it. But I couldn't see it again, and it occurred to me that the voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because there is always the thought that everything might be done better and again.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

John Green
“What a slut time is. She screws everybody.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

01/12/2012 page 3
1.0% ""Depression is a side effect of dying. (Cancer is also a side effect of dying. Almost everything is, really)." LOVE THAT QUOTE. Loved it when John first read it in his vlog."
01/12/2012 page 24
8.0% ""I didn't tell him that the diagnosis came three months after I got my first period. Like: Congratulations! You're a woman Now die." - This book is too clever and quotable. How will I ever finish when I need to update my status this much!?!?!"
01/15/2012 page 111
35.0% "I love it when you find where the title comes from in a book. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/But in ourselves." This book so far is making me feel a lot."
01/15/2012 page 155
50.0% "Augustus arguing with his parents before Hazel gets there makes me a nervous nancy. Oh dear."
01/15/2012 page 168
54.0% ""I believe in that line from An Imperial Affliction. 'The risen sun too bright in her losing eyes.' THat's God, I think, the rising sun, and the light is too bright and her eyes are losing but they aren't lost. I don't believe we return to haunt or comfort the living or anything, but I think something becomes of us." - Augustus Waters"
01/15/2012 page 208
66.0% ""No headboards were broken" - Is that a Twilight reference John Green? Tell me the truth now"
01/15/2012 page 210
67.0% "PS I want a love note in Ven Diagram form. Someone get on that please."
01/15/2012 page 217
69.0% "And now there are tears you damn book. Even though I saw it coming there are tears. I can't unlove this book even if it's an emotional grenade as well."
01/15/2012 page 260
83.0% "I should not read books that make me cry like this. I am not much of a crier but by GOD I'm crying."
01/15/2012 page 308
98.0% "Who am I to say that these things might not be forever? Who is Peter Van Houten to assert as fact the conjectures that our labor is temporary? All I know of heaven and all I know of death is in this park: an elegant universe in ceaseless motion, teeming with ruined ruins and screaming children."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Julianna Helms Dude, I freakin' DIED over this book. <3<3<3

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Last night I was reading it at a soccer banquet (my little sister's soccer banquet goes on FOREVER) and was like "Okay I need to stop because it makes me feel too much."

Julianna Helms Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "Last night I was reading it at a soccer banquet (my little sister's soccer banquet goes on FOREVER) and was like "Okay I need to stop because it makes me feel too much.""

MY EMOTIONS! GAH!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Thanks for the warning about the mascara. I made that mistake with Looking for Alaska.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "Thanks for the warning about the mascara. I made that mistake with Looking for Alaska."

You're welcome. By the end my hands were smeared from wiping my tears so much. I'm not even much of a crier (don't remember crying during Alaska) but this book...gah...the tears.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) How Alaska died was very similar to how my best friend in high school died, which is why I think tht book got to me so so well. I have this bought and waiting, so I might just start it today!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "How Alaska died was very similar to how my best friend in high school died, which is why I think tht book got to me so so well. I have this bought and waiting, so I might just start it today!"

Ah yes. We all carry our lives into the books we read.

message 8: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Excellent review! I had a lot of the same reactions. Very well said!