Joy's Reviews > Rot & Ruin

Rot & Ruin by Jonathan Maberry

2711937
Jul 12, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, public-reads, favorites, action-adventure
Read from July 06 to 12, 2011

This is the first Jonathan Maberry book I've read and it totally rocked! Suffice it to say I'm not exactly a fan of post-apocalyptic novels, I saw this at a friend's shelf and read his review, and looking for something new to read, I grabbed a copy and read on...and on...and on. Wow! What a journey, and it continues.

Mr Maberry's book, "Rot & Ruin" casts the young adult genre in a totally different light. With his vivid imagery combined with grotesque imagination, he was able to create a convincing world where it's past 2012, the dead rise as zombies, there are no more cars, and there's the never-ending human folly of greed.

Amidst all this, there's the "Mountainside" where most people who survived as humans reside. There's of course, Benny Imura, the 15-year-old looking for a job because rations would be cut off soon, and his brother Tom, who's twice as old as him, who works as a bounty hunter for a living. We're not exactly looking at the Brady Bunch type, but it gets better.

I liked how Mr Maberry described how desolate and forlorn Mountainside was, where people don't have nationalities anymore, yet they came from different parts of the world. The only thing that's still vague to me is the terms "First Night" was mentioned constantly yet not really described from the beginning, and it was really weird how zombies came about.

The whole time I was reading this, I felt like I was watching a game. I can't help but compare it to the Resident Evil game (not the movie) because an organization spread the T-virus and there were only a few to stop it from spreading, but in this case, guns are scarce and Tom's weapon of choice is the sword. Benny, being a teenager doesn't understand the difference between his own brother and other bounty hunters just out for the kill.

The things I liked most in this novel are the conversations between Tom and Benny about zombies, they're mostly philosophical and it gives a lot of food for thought. There's also a bit of love in the time of crisis, and I liked how it was inserted with perfect timing. I really loved Tom's character and the way he handled Benny, explaining his side, not persuading but enlightening. He always gave Benny the choice and in time he'll mature and grow stronger. I hope with this review, I was able to give justice to how the novel rocked, and how I'm waiting for the next move, "Dust and Decay". Eagerly waiting. Anticipating. 5 slicing stars for this!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot & Ruin.