Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > The Collected Stories

Oct 02, 08

bookshelves: nz, short-stories
Recommended to Kathleen by: Rupert Gilliand
Read in January, 2008

I am so totally embarrassed. I have heard of Katherine Mansfield (of course!, "our" New Zealand author; world-famous) since I was at school, and here am I reading her for the first time at age 50!!! (Actually, I'm 51 now, but it has been bedside reading for the last quite-a-few months, so I WAS 50 when I started reading her.)

She deserves all the accolades she gets. She's an absolute master of the English language and of showing people in all their habits and quirks and nicenesses and not. And how she takes us into the feelings of her characters!

I know why I took so long to read her - I envied her madly for her wonderful writing ability. Now I have devoured these stories I envy her even more, but I've added love to that (oh dear, am I sounding like some besotted "convert"?). I think the stories that touched me most were the ones of lonely people. So poignant. But I also loved the many set here in New Zealand, because even though they're a hundred years ago, the physical descriptions of the country and the sea and the wind (in Wellington!) and the plants .... well, I can see the scenes when they're NZ, whereas I can only imagine the English and French and German settings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories.