Angela's Reviews > Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

Read via NetGalley.

Ultraviolet is a novel unlike any other, I have to admit. But the plot was rather slow. You already know what is so special about Alison, if you know about some physical phenomenons. But it takes at least half of the book just for someone to reveal Alison's special senses. It is pretty common known knowledge that there are some people in the world who can see the colors in numbers. Those people (well some of them) are pretty famous or had news coverage of them on television or online. But in this book, no one realizes anything, until Dr. Sebastian Faraday reveals them to Alison. Alison has (view spoiler)

Pretty much, this book is irrelevant to Tori's death/disappearance. It just covered what bothered Alison the psychotic ward. It goes on about Alison's depression, her crush on Faraday and the psychotic ward's patients until the last fifty pages. That is when we find out about what happened to Tori. This whole story is supposed to be about Tori's death/disappearance, but why does it only really matter at the end and not the rest of the book. This book definitely had suspense and mystery, but not the greatest suspense. I was a little bored while I was reading this book.

Those were my few complaints about this book, but what I loved about this book was the writing style. R. J. Anderson managed to make the story descriptive and had me hooked to this book. Even if I was annoyed by the plot, I was sucked into the story. There, I felt like a real witness to everything that was happening, rather than just a person who heard about it. I hope R. J. Anderson writes more YA novels, just with a better plot.

Now, the characters? Hm............ Alison, she's the protagonist (no duh). I did not like her much. She was rather selfish in a way. Always thinking about herself first and everyone else last. Nothing really mattered to her but herself. Faraday was a cool character. He had much mystery about him. As soon as I met him in the story, I knew he was a mysterious weirdo. His tone, his manner, his interest in Alison. But the mystery of who he is was rather sad, I admit. It was so abrupt and insanely weird with no hints of his past until that very moment.

The climax of this book....... There was none! You could consider the climax was when Alison found out what really happened to Tori, but that was a really short and pathetic climax. You cannot consider a climax without a proper antagonist. The real antagonist was only in the picture for 20 pages. Those twenty pages consisted of Faraday describing him, Allison watching him do his business and him actually talking. It was really irritating because what kind of antagonist has that short of a limelight!!!

I give this book two stars because of its terrible plot. I would have given this book a one star. But since the writing was amazing, I had to give the story another star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ultraviolet.