Karen's Reviews > No Rest for the Dead: Twenty Six Writers, One Mystery

No Rest for the Dead by Sandra Brown

Jul 07, 11

Read in July, 2011

Twenty six authors writing in collaboration to tell the story of an innocent woman wrongly executed for her husband's murder. Huh? Twenty six authors? One book? When I read the synopsis of No Rest for the Dead and then looked at the list of contributing authors I knew that I just had to read this book. Could this work? WOULD this work? Yes it works just fine, thank you! Each author writes one chapter, or story, labeled with their name so you do know who wrote what. But the "who wrote what" dynamic quickly gets back burnered. Some of the writers aren't normally favorites but in No Rest for the Dead, it didn't matter to me. Every chapter and every story was seamless, every word was brilliant. What matters is that No Rest for the Dead is a great read and a great who-done-it.

As requested by the deceased innocent Rosemary Thomas in her will, ten years after her execution, all who were present on the night of her her husband's murder are to be brought together again in a sort of memorial. A letter is to be read by Rosemary's best friend. I immediately expected a "Nick Charles" type of scene when I read that all of the suspects would be together in one room. Nope...didn't happen. And that's OK. There's another, more interesting way that the facts are exposed and the mystery is solved.

No Rest for the Dead is a well told, well laid out and plotted mystery, I couldn't stop reading it. It's rather like a well designed quilt, all of the separate pieces are finally stitched together to make a solid piece. It's the fine stitching and the weaving of the threads that bind the pieces that make the finished quilt strong and sturdy. That's what you have in No Rest for the Dead. A strong and well crafted story.

Hands down, this is one of the best books I've read this year! The solution took me by surprise and no, I didn't see it coming. And I can usually figure these things out.

Buy it, read it, share it.

I received this e-galley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Rest for the Dead.