Grumpus's Reviews > The President and the Assassin: McKinley, Terror, and Empire at the Dawn of the American Century

The President and the Assassin by Scott  Miller
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President and the Assassin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene This book looks really interesting!! I have a goal to read a biography (at least one) of every U.S. president and this looks fascinating. Can't wait to hear what you think of it!!

Grumpus I have a similar goal...just started but so far, so good. I'll write something up for you when I'm done.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Thanks, Grumpus!! I look forward to it. I haven't read many myself but I'm finding the ones that I HAVE read very interesting. Unfortunately, with the exception of George Washington and John Adams, I'm also finding that when I finish, I usually like the President less than when I started. (I'm thinking of Thomas Jefferson in particular). Perhaps my standards/expectations are too high.

Grumpus Ooh, yeah, Thomas Jefferson...not my favorite mainly due to his hatred of Alexander Hamilton. Did you read that from Ron Chernow? Best biography ever. American Lion was great (Andrew Jackson) and Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America was good (not too many books on him). Decision Points by George Bush and The Last Lincolns: The Rise & Fall of a Great American Family about Lincoln's descendants while not what you're necessarily looking for was very interesting.

message 5: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I haven't read the Alexander Hamilton by Chernow yet(although it was recommended to me by Arminius). I read the Washington biography by Chernow (also excellent) and Jefferson wasn't portrayed in a very flattering light in that book either. Washington didn't trust him. And I read John Adams by David McCullough (very good) and it seemed that Jefferson had engaged in some back stabbing of Adams. But the book that really bothered me about Jefferson was the one I read about he and his slave Sally Heming. The title escapes me at the moment but it was very interesting and it appeared that there were 2 Thomas Jeffersons.. one of which, I don't care for. I read Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin about Abraham Lincoln. I love her writing and it was a great book. I also read a biography of Mary Todd LIncoln and she was a very interesting and compelling woman. I have not read Decision Points and honestly, I am not a fan of G.W. Bush. I lived through those years and would like to put some distance there before I read a book by or about him!:)