Michelle (FabBookReviews)'s Reviews > So Much Closer

So Much Closer by Susane Colasanti

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: read-young-adult

Having only ever read When It Happens (which I did enjoy), I was not too familiar with Colasanti's work. But after reading this, I will be going back to check out her previous novels.

For the first few chapters, I was rather frustrated and perplexed by the main character, Brooke. She seemed very untenable; not necessarily unlikable, but ungrounded for a protagonist. Also: choosing to move to another city for a boy she has barely ever spoken to in high school? Switching schools, leaving her mom, friends, etc., behind for a guy she has a 'feeling' she belongs with?? What?!?!

Needless to say, despite my initial annoyance with Brooke and her almost too-seamless move to New York, Colasanti keeps the reader interested as she keeps the story moving quickly and introduces new dimensions and vibrant new characters into the mix. Once Brooke arrives in New York City, the story begins to chip away at some of Brooke's reserved tendencies, her strained history with her mom and dad, and consequently we start to see why she puts so much into hope and feelings.

Brooke's primary focus of her life pre-New York- her love of Scott- slowly begins to transform once she starts rooting herself in the city. As a reader, we can guess that when someone gets what they think they want, it rarely turns out the way they expected. So, rather than focusing the story on Brooke and Scott, Colasanti paints a wonderful picture of New York, its inhabitants, and some of its unexpectedly beautiful spaces. (It is clear that Colasanti adores New York).

The addition of new characters, specifically Sadie and John, adds great richness to the novel, and brings out more substance in Brooke. Inspired by the liveliness and life of New York, the residents, its spaces and constant movement, Brooke begins to unclench her heart (a painfully tiny bit at a time) to new friends, different experiences at school and in her personal life.

Verdict: Good. It could have veered off into the predicable but Colasanti added elements of welcome unpredictability and character development. While the book started off a little shaky for me, the story and my attachment to it grew as the book went on. I ended up really enjoying it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much Closer.