peter's Reviews > On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson

Mar 21, 2008

Read in March, 2008

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about this one. Andrew Peterson is high on my list of favorite singer/songwriters, but I wasn't sure that his talent would translate well to the novel format. After all, you need more than a couple verses and a hooky chorus to make a storybook sing.

But aside from a few reservations about the sheer ridiculousness of some of the character names, I found the book to be really enjoyable, suspenseful, quite funny, and possessed of its own unique voice.

The story follows the fantastic adventures of three children--Janner, Tink, and Leeli--as they look for treasure, hide from the bad guys, and try to unravel the mysteries of their own past. The pace and tempo are similar in some ways to the Harry Potter books, but with much more fun and much more hope.

Along the way, they are chased by all manner of strange creatures, including toothy cows (which are hilarious to imagine, but not to meet in person) and the Fangs of Dang (which are smelly, ill-humored villains with a taste for maggotloaf.) They explore Anklejelly Manor. They end up in the Fang dungeon twice. They narrowly escape certain death numerous times. In the end, they...well, you'll have to read it, I guess.

For me, what made this book more than just light entertainment was the presence of two deeper themes. The first--a fierce love of family--was a refreshing departure from the dysfunctional relationships and remote or absent adults of so many modern children's stories.

The second theme, which gave this book its heart, was the acknowledgement of and longing after something deeper, some mystery beyond understanding. To quote Frederick Buechner quoting Rinkitink, the king of Oz, "Never question the truth of what you fail to understand, for the world is filled with wonders." After a day of near disaster, little Leeli sings a song of sadness and hope that makes even the dragons fall silent. And then the moment of beauty passes without explanation and we never understand what really happened there on the rock overlooking the Dark Sea. But in the gloom a light shimmers and brings hope of something bigger, some deeper magic. Despite the danger and doubts, still we discover a world full of wonder. As far as I'm concerned, that, and a toothy cow or two, is all you really need for a pretty good adventure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness.

Andrew Peterson Thanks for the kind words, Peter. I'm glad you enjoyed it.