Jennifer's Reviews > Hollowmen

Hollowmen by Amanda Hocking

Nov 11, 11

Read from November 10 to 11, 2011

funny gifs

I want to start with the cute animated gif from my book 1 review shown above!
Now how to even dive into this!!! I LOVED and HATED this with a passion! OMG I was dying for this and then HIGHLY disappointed by parts that really made no sense! I'm going to try to keep the spoilers down but a few will probably be seen, just a warning!

So we ended in the first book with Remy locked up in the hospital of the quarantine. Six months later Remy is still stuck in that hospital undergoing gruesome and extreme medical tests and surgeries with no anesthetic. Zombies have become smarter and they break in and all the doctors and everyone runs out leaving Remy cut wide open on the table. She sews herself up(Yeah!) and runs out. She runs into Tatum in the hall and he explains that everyone has evacuated in small groups and that they are the last group of around 8 people. This is where one of my this made no sense RANT #1 comes in! WHY DID LAZLO LEAVE WITHOUT HER! He swore he would not leave the quarantine without her but he just took off and now she has no idea where he and Harlow went!

The zombies disease is able to communicate with other zombies without being in close proximity. When one zombie finds a person it sends out for all the zombies to come! So the new plan is for all the people to break up into small groups and just run away north to where it is cold. Zombies don't like the cold(Who does?) so they have plans to head to Canada. Remy's group includes her mad scientist doctor, Daniels, an army guy Boden and some other new characters really not worth mentioning. Before they head north Remy insists on going to the compound where she sent Max and Blue six months ago.

Boden, the quarantine army worker and basically head of the group, agrees hoping they can find more weapons because they are almost all out of bullets. So they venture out with the usual zombie attacks and fighting amongst themselves. Remy eventually finds Max and even Ripley. Then randomly they also find a radio where Lazlo's voice is coming through. NOW ENTER RANT #2! Lazlo is radioing out but he won't wait for Remy and won't decide a place to meet. They don't say they love and miss each other. It is just an awkward pointless talk. Why the hell was he even radioing out to people if he didn't want to wait to meet up with anyone?! THAT IS ALL HE HAS TO SAY TO HER AFTER SIX MONTHS! WTF!

The rest of the story consists of Remy and her new gang heading north and slowly being killed off by zombies. Lot's of action but lacking a lot of the emotion of the first book. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Boden but I just felt like it was handled poorly and that there was no real closure to Lazlo. RANT #3! REMY SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR HIM! Just ridiculous. So highly disappointed by the tiny one page of Lazlo we get! I am sure hoping for another book because I was not at all pleased with the way this concluded. Still an enjoyable read and I finished it all in one day. It was really short and I so hope for more. Just felt like many details were not explained or fully developed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hollowmen.

11/10/2011
1.0% "The world is on hold cause I am reading!!!! Out today!!! http://www.amazon.com/Hollowmen-The-H..." 4 comments
15.0% "WHOA Tatum shocker! And no Lazlo yet :-(" 1 comment
11/10/2011
20.0% "AWWW BLUE! This book is killing me already!"
11/10/2011
30.0% "Ripley got to love her!"
11/10/2011
44.0% "Aww only one second of Lazlo! :-("
62.0% "Gruesome!"
11/10/2011
100.0% "$&@&@*&! That's it! I was dying for more Lazlo and I literally got a page of him over a radio! Other than that it was good. But Lazlo :-(" 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anjana Its out next week! Did you check out her blog recently??

Jennifer No not that recently but thank goodness it is out next week cause last I heard she said no promises!

Melissa NEXT WEEK???!!

Jennifer Hollowmen is back from the editor, but I'm still editing it. I'm hoping to publish it early next week.When I publish it, I'll post some more info about the book. Until then, Hollowland is free for the Kindle, if you haven't checked it out yet. The first un-edited chapter of Hollowmen is still up, if you want to check that out

Jennifer YAY!

message 7: by Arwyn (new) - added it

Arwyn Is this series good?

Jennifer Arwyn wrote: "Is this series good?"

Yeah! I really loved it! Just finished this book and working on my review now! I felt the first was better but this was close. I am mostly upset about only getting a page of my favorite character but overall good stuff!

message 9: by Arwyn (new) - added it

Arwyn Cool, thanks, i'll definitly have to look into it!

Jennifer Book 1 is still free right now on kindle!

message 11: by Arwyn (new) - added it

Arwyn what if i dont have a kindle, does it still work on a regular computer?

Jennifer Yeah I don't have a kindle either. You just download the kindle for pc app. Or for your iphone or ipad or whatever you want to read on.

Chantal I dont know why, but I kept thinking she was going to run into Beck I think it was, the first army guy from the first book.

Jennifer Chantal wrote: "I dont know why, but I kept thinking she was going to run into Beck I think it was, the first army guy from the first book."

In the first book I thought so too! Then I just assumed he really died. I had liked Beck even though we only saw a tiny bit of him. I really fell for Lazlo as the book progressed and was so disappointed to not get any more of him in this book.

Chantal I agree about Lazlo! Maybe in the next book she will run into him and have to choose between him & Boden? Ohhh I dont know :(

message 16: by Arwyn (new) - added it

Arwyn it didnt work, i'll have to get it through a library hopefully

message 17: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena I have a feeling in the next book she'll have to choose between both boys as well. =/

Jennifer LAME Everything always must turn into a love triangle. I thought it was going to be with Tatum though so when he died in the beginning I thought I was in the clear for a minute. Then I started noticing Boden noticing Remy and I was like oh no! lol

message 19: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena Jennifer wrote: "LAME Everything always must turn into a love triangle. I thought it was going to be with Tatum though so when he died in the beginning I thought I was in the clear for a minute. Then I started noti..."

hahah SAME... I swore it was going to be Tatum. Then I knew it was Boden. And it blows because I REALLY like Boden. I just love Lazlo.

Jennifer Ditto. Boden was cool but I felt like Lazlo was more unique and I liked him more.

Katrina Passick Lumsden I'm not going to read your whole review because I'm only 10% through the book now, but I saw that you think there were parts that made no sense.....yeah, like how the doctors treat Remy and her brother like crap, apparently not caring if they die?? Hello! Zombie virus outbreak and a select few might hold the key to humanity's survival and they DISSECT them?! Makes no fricking sense to me.

message 22: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica i havent read this one but i've read the first book. it was really good

Jennifer Jessica wrote: "i havent read this one but i've read the first book. it was really good"

message 24: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jena Jennifer wrote: "Jessica wrote: "i havent read this one but i've read the first book. it was really good"

I loved the first one! I was a bit disappointed with this one but it was still good."

I loved the first one more as well. But the second I thought was still good too :)

message 25: by Jena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agreed!

Angela I agree with your review! When I imagined the second book I always thought that Lazlo would go to the compound because that was a obvious course to Remy... They love each other and he left without her and without saying anything else. That sucks!