Eleni ( La Femme Readers )'s Reviews > Dark Parties

Dark Parties by Sara Grant

Jul 06, 2011

Read from July 06 to 16, 2011

My Rating: 4.5

The characters in Dark Parties live in a society where it's safeguarded by the Protectosphere, a secluded bubble run by the overzealous government. Rebellion is frowned upon, while orderly conduct and a plain way of living is enforced. I'm sure most of you have heard the saying, "Big brother is watching you." In this case, it's very much true, the quiet revolt is slowly sweeping across the people. However, if careful precautions aren't taken, the vigilant government will easily make individuals disappear. Creepy right? One day you are attending secret meetings, the next you are gone without a trace.

In the beginning, Sara introduces the reader to a party where faces are hidden in the dark, causing the novel to create a sinister atmosphere. At first, I was a bit confused on what exactly was happening, however it didn't falter my curiosity. Also, in the mix of things the protagonist, Neva, is surprised when someone makes out with her. When the lights go on, her best friend's boyfriend is looking at her and smiling. Oh the drama! Let me just say, the kissing scenes throughout Dark Parties were pretty steamy, Sara sure knows how to start with a bang! If you decide to read the book and find the first chapter a little awkward, I promise it gets better once you pass it.

Moving on, Neva's confidence and determination helped me connect with her on a deeper level. The thought behind the "missing" being out there, gave her the fuel she needed to find out secrets no one expected. In addition, the blossoming relationship between Neva and Sanna's boyfriend captivated me until the end. Yes, it was wrong in so many ways, but the undeniable chemistry was there all along. All in all, I really enjoyed the amusement value of the storyline. After reading so many dystopian books this year, I can say that this one had elements that I usually look for. It kept me interested from start to finish with heart pumping chapters and likable characters. From the way it left off, I have a feeling a sequel is in the works. I'm excited to see what ride Sara takes me on next!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Parties.