Kristin Aragon's Reviews > Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Jul 27, 2011

Read in July, 2011

So, I finished this book in about 7 hours. I was so excited for the release that I ran straight to Barnes and Noble and bought it first thing yesterday morning.

Calla finally wakes up from her injuries sustained while at the Rowan Estates helping Shay escape, only to find herself in the same room as the people who attacked her…The Searchers. Even though they assure her she is safe, she is unsure if she should trust them. Who can blame her, they did shoot her with enchanted bolts after all! We find out that Shay was not all that keen on trusting them until he knew Calla was healthy and safe.

There were so many new characters in this book and I loved them all. I was sad to see that several died before we got to know them better.

Connor: The witty, wise-cracking searcher. I loved him. He was constantly teasing everyone and he had such a soft spot for Adne. I’m not sure if he is in love with her or is just the big brother type. Hope to see much more of him in Bloodrose.

Ethan: The one who shot Calla and brother to Kyle (The Searcher Calla killed). In the beginning of the book, I wanted to hate him so bad, but for some reason I just could not bring myself to do it. I am glad, because he saved the day when all was said and done. He definitely made a few mistakes but he made up for them.

Ariadne: aka Adne. I loved her. She was smart, strong both physically and emotionally, and was loyal to her family above all else. Adne endured some horrific events but never forgot her duties. Her dad, Monroe, had been keeping a secret from her about his past and family she never knew. When Adne found out, she was the first…eh, maybe second, person that insisted on going to save them.

Monroe: The guide to the Denver based Searchers. Man, does this guy have secrets. Wow! I was truly shocked when I learned about them. He was a great man and sacrificed his life for his family. I was extremely sad to see him go.

Anika: The Arrow of the Searchers. She is the one who calls the shots.

Silas: The Scribe and royal know-it-all. The banter between him and Connor left me smiling. Talk about two opposite sides of the same coin.

There is a lot of history about the Searchers, Keepers, and Guardians in this book. I think I was kind of annoyed with all of it at first. I just wanted to get to the action! Calla had to go save her pack and I wanted that to be immediately. Honestly, it did not take long to get into some of the action and I was glad. The first rescue mission left me in tears.

I am definitely Team Ren, so I was disappointed that there was not much of him in this book. And let me tell you, I think I feel the same way about Shay that I did about Jacob in the Twilight Series. (Not a comparison of the books, because they are nowhere near the same, only a comparison of my feelings.) I always felt like Jacob was a desperate, whiney baby and that is the feeling I get from Shay. He is trying way to hard to win Calla’s affection.

The end of the book left me bewildered. However, Andrea released the first chapter in Bloodrose, the third book in the series, yesterday. There are spoilers in the chapter, so do not read it until you have read Wolfsbane. I read it as soon as I finished and that one single chapter made me so much happier. I do not know what will happen when all is said and done, but perhaps I can relax until Spring 2012.

Again, Andrea Cremer wrote an outstanding story full of turmoil, conflict, and unrequited love. The underlying themes of injustice, political upheaval, and nature vs. nurture makes for a compelling and suspenseful read. I definitely recommend this series to anyone who enjoys YA Paranormal Romance and Urban Fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsbane.

07/26/2011 page 400
100.0% "Review Coming Later Today!"