Jeff's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jul 06, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

** spoiler alert ** so my little sister Rebecca used to give me and my family members (and others) copies of the book Rebecca all the time, as her way to amuse herself. Sometimes more than one copy for a single holiday. I always promised her I would read it, and finally I did.

It is not bad. Not really my thing -- 'twas awfully romantic early on, then a little dull towards the end (wait Manderley just burns down at the end?). But in the middle it was pretty well-written and, even when you knew what was about to happen, like when the narrator wore Rebecca's dress to the dance, you got that crawly awful feeling that makes you unsure whether to continue or to cast the book aside. I can appreciate that.

The prose was overwrought but sort of enjoyable. I haven't really read gothic romances like this since some sort of English class fare ages ago. Entertaining, I guess. I don't need to necessarily read more of this kind of thing.

Neither the unnamed narrator, nor the character Rebecca, had all that much in common with my little sister, though. My Rebecca is a lot tougher than the narrator and a lot less cold-hearted than du Maurier's Rebecca.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.