Meg ♥'s Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: e-books, z-2011-reads, books-2-movies, favs, own-copy
I own a copy, read count: 2

Good luck to Hunger Games in the box office today!

Yay HG killed it at the box office breaking all kinds of records woot woot!

I don't care how much violence is in this book. It got my 9 year old (who hated reading) to read a full novel! Oh wait, he's read 3! His teacher is really impressed and I thank this book for that.

Let's hope this girl playing Katniss can do justice to our favorite heroine. :D

3/28/12 just seen it. Jennifer Lawrence was an amazing Katniss! Every character was well done in my opinion. I still love the book lots more, but the movie was good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ My little sister was the same way but shes 15. I think as soon as this movie starts I'm going to cry because I have been waiting so long for it!!!

Megan going to see it tomorrow. I really hoping it's good.

Petra X smokin' hot Harry Potter did that - got children reading. I'm glad the Hunger Games does it too.

Meg ♥ ✿~[z๏ℯy]~✿ wrote: "My little sister was the same way but shes 15. I think as soon as this movie starts I'm going to cry because I have been waiting so long for it!!!"

Oh gosh, I know! Same here. :D

Meg ♥ Megan wrote: "going to see it tomorrow. I really hoping it's good."

Ohh cool. Me too :D I hope so too. It has some major expectations lol

Meg ♥ Petra X wrote: "Harry Potter did that - got children reading. I'm glad the Hunger Games does it too."

True! I tried to get my son to read HP, but he didn't like it that much. Hunger Games is just so intense and I guess he likes that more than fantasy. I love HP, though...I've read them all like 5 times each or more.

Shellie Brewer I am so excited for the movie going in the afternoon by myself so i can enjoy it...

Lola I already have tickets pre-ordered because some theatres around here were selling out for the whole weekend. This is going to be insane.

Shellie Brewer my theatre is showing it every 15 minutes so not worried about it and it is a small town..

Esther Anyone going to the midnight premiere?

Meg ♥ Shellie wrote: "my theatre is showing it every 15 minutes so not worried about it and it is a small town.."

Yeah, the places around me are going to be packed. I hate crowded move theaters! Hope you like it Shellie.

Meg ♥ Esther wrote: "Anyone going to the midnight premiere?"

I thought about it, but my son really wants to go and it's a school night. I can't believe it's only an hour away! lol

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire I just saw it Meg. WOW. I loved it.

Meg ♥ Claire wrote: "I just saw it Meg. WOW. I loved it."

*jealous* haha. I am so excited to see what everyone thinks, but I won't be seeing it until Saturday morning!

message 15: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Watched Hunger Games tonight! 2 and a half hours of AWESOME!

Emily Shellie wrote: "I am so excited for the movie going in the afternoon by myself so i can enjoy it..."

How was it Shelli?

Laurie it was pretty damn good.:)

Amanda Now that I have seen the movie it is my favourite movie as well as my favourite book of all time.

Yes there is violence, but it is not glorified and the more important issue is the messages that this movie will send. It is about a totalitarian government, society and their obsession with reality television and standing up for your beliefs among many other things.

Yes, it might not be appropriate for some young children but for those that are mature enough they should see it as it is a fantastic film to complement the novel.

P.S Jennifer Lawrence is amazing as Katniss!

Meg ♥ Amanda wrote: "Now that I have seen the movie it is my favourite movie as well as my favourite book of all time.

Oh, I know that. They definitely don't advocate the violence. I was just saying that there are probably some parents who wouldn't want their 9 year old ot read this, just because of that, but they see more violence on video games! haha

I'm glad to see everyone is liking the movie, and that is awesome that JLaw rocked the part of Katniss! :)

Sarah The book was so much better, but the movie was alright.

Traveller You really encouraged a 9-year old to read a book where two people become heroes for killing other innocent people? How do you thinks that contributes towards his concept of values and ethics?

message 22: by Meg ♥ (last edited Apr 05, 2012 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg ♥ Traveller wrote: "You really encouraged a 9-year old to read a book where two people become heroes for killing other innocent people? How do you thinks that contributes towards his concept of values and ethics?"

I don't think it contributed at all to be honest. There are certain books made to teach lessons and there are books simply for entertainment. I don't know if you bothered to read the whole series since you rated the first book 1 star, but I don't feel like she glorifies the killing or advocates it at all. From the very beginning we are showed how badly Gale and Katniss think of the capitol when they are considering running away. He is 9, but he is pretty smart and knows the difference between entertainment and real life. I guess this book might not be appropriate for certain 9 year olds, but I knew that this book would appeal to him, so I gave it a shot. We talked about the books as well, and he's never mentioned any new values or ethics that he gained from the books. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Traveller (last edited Apr 05, 2012 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Traveller Meg ♥ wrote: "Traveller wrote: "You really encouraged a 9-year old to read a book where two people become heroes for killing other innocent people? How do you thinks that contributes towards his concept of valu..."

You are correct, I didn't read the other books (I really found the style of the first book ... not exactly a good fit for me), but I'm very glad to hear that they do finally (view spoiler).

That might redeem the series to a large extent, and I'll mention this fact in my negative review of the first book.

I too have young children, but I monitor what they read, watch and play, and if there is explicit sexual content or violence I either screen it to some extent, or make sure I discuss it with them, so I'm glad to hear you discussed the books with your son. Still, I wouldn't let my kids read it until they're at least 14 or 15, I don't think.

I don't have a problem at all with books like for instance HP, because any killing that takes place there, is very clearly delineated between "good guys" and "bad guys", whereas in the HG books in the first book, it's other kids - some of them completely non-hostile and innocent that are being killed. (view spoiler)

Kirstin This book and movie are going to be classics someday.

Amanda Kirstin wrote: "This book and movie are going to be classics someday."

I agree!

Marissa One of the greatest books ever!! The movies are amazing and I can't wait for Mocking Jay !!! Read the first one and it blew my mind!

message 27: by Omer (new) - added it

Omer Asad Should i buy it?