Sara's Reviews > Death on Tour

Death on Tour by Janice Hamrick

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, adult-fiction, mystery
Read from September 05 to 07, 2011

This was a fun mystery with a great backdrop. Jocelyn is a high school history teacher from Texas who saves up enough money to take the trip she's always dreamed of, a tour of Egypt. Her cousin accompanies her and the rest of the tour-goers are strangers who all seem to have strange baggage of their own that isn't fully disclosed, at least not publicly and certainly not at first. At the beginning of the tour, an obnoxious busybody on the tour dies, most likely murdered, and Jocelyn finds herself on edge, wondering who the culprit is and trying to dig deeper in the lives of everyone in the group.

I loved the descriptions of Egypt and all the places they saw. The author did such a great job making the scenery come to life, even the little details about the salesmen who are always present and the way the sun felt coming across the sand. Interspersed with this were details about Ancient Egypt, explaining what they were seeing and the significance of it all. It made me want to be there alongside all the characters on this tour, taking everything in with them!

The characters were entertaining as well. A lot of the people on the tour acted strangely and suspiciously, but I couldn't figure out exactly what their angles were. It made for a fun read. The mystery was entertaining as well, but also way too obvious. I figured out the culprit from VERY early on in the book because of all the hints that were dropped, and I kept hoping that I was wrong, that the author was just throwing a huge red herring to the reader, but alas... it took Jocelyn an entire book to figure out what took me about one or two chapters. It was amazing that no one else picked up on the obvious clues earlier, especially since the reader never knows more than Jocelyn knows. So that was quite disappointing, to have the answers so in your face but no one smart enough to figure it out.

Still, I enjoyed the book overall despite my frustration at the mystery being so predictable. It had good writing, a wonderful setting, and fun interactions between all the characters, not all of which i saw coming. I'd read another book by this author, but I really hope the next one has a little more difficult mystery to solve and that I'm not once again the only one picking up on the obvious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death on Tour.