Metaspinster's Reviews > Head Rush

Head Rush by Carolyn Crane

God, I love this series so much! So much so that while still midway through reading this book I felt compelled to go back and reread through favorite parts of the first two (admittedly, many were favorite Justine/Packard bits...). My point being that these books are reread-quality for me: the prose itself is enjoyable even if you already know "what happens" - while also, the plot is complex enough that needing a "refresher" isn't a negative indication that Crane's work is "unmemorable."

Anyway! What I love about the whole premise of this series is how it transforms psychological traits/issues/etc. into tangible (or at least externalized) paranormal plottiness. And although this book has less psychological warfare in the form of "zinging," the phenomenon of memory revision works beautifully in terms of providing an apt narrative conflict for our heroine (Justine)'s continuing struggle towards self-awareness. Plus, it's just cool. (view spoiler)

I also highly recommend reading the novella "Kitty-tiger and the Monk" (Disillusionists #2.5) from last year's Wild & Steamy compilation, before Head Rush; though it is not strictly necessary to do so to follow the main plotlines of this book, getting the story behind the memory revisionist herself, Sophia Sidway, as well as learning about the origins of "the Tangle" adds extra depth to the storyworld.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head Rush.