Samantha Young's Reviews > A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

Jul 19, 11

bookshelves: arc, ebooks-i-own
Read from July 18 to 19, 2011

When Skye Parker was six years old she was in a car crash that killed her parents. It was a tragedy that continues to colour and shape her world despite her loving Aunt Jo and best friends, Cassie, Dan and Ian. But Skye has no idea how much of her past is a mystery until two boys, Asher and Devin, who couldn’t be more different from one another, arrive in town to not only shake up everything Skye has ever thought she knew about herself and the world in general, but also to shake up her much guarded heart.

AMAZING. I absolutely loved A Beautiful Dark from the first moment I heard about it. First I loved the poetic title, then I loved the cover art, and then I loved Jocelyn Davies' writing. A Beautiful Dark is such a smooth read I found myself becoming so addicted to the story that I just didn’t want to put it down. What is so special about the novel is how utterly intriguing it is. The reader knows from the first chapter that there is something supernatural afoot but the unravelling of what that supernatural element is, is far more well-developed than many others in this genre, and the need to discover what the hell is really going on is completely absorbing. I might have been slow on the uptake with this one but I was kind of surprised when the paranormal element was revealed. It’s been done before. A lot. BUT it hasn’t been done like this before. I loved Davies injection of an edgy and refreshing mythology to this particular plot device. Moreover, the otherworldly and sometimes sinister atmosphere Davies creates is set beautifully against the vivid backdrop of Boulder, Colorado. The easy and stunning storytelling and first person narrative moves A Beautiful Dark along at a brisk pace, with an abundance of mystery, brilliant characterisation and action.

Speaking of characterisation I am definitely a fan of Skye. She has a tragic past, has known heartbreak, and it has made her somewhat guarded… soooo she wasn’t exactly falling at Asher and Devin’s feet and I have to say I enjoyed that change of pace very much. Moreover, when she discovers the truth about everything she reacts with a genuine sense of shock that was both realistic and refreshing considering many YA heroines swoop past these momentous discoveries with an unbelievable amount of acceptance.
There’s just something about Skye that makes her incredibly likeable. She’s a good friend, she smart, she’s strong and independent, but not so very nice things have happened to her and we the reader get that all important glimpse into what makes her vulnerable and thus what makes her so relatable to us. I also appreciated Davies’ handling of the romance. For romance fans there is enough to satisfy but I enjoyed its natural development and how throughout the entire novel Skye is constantly questioning the things that need to be questioned and how both of the heroes remain enigmatic in a way that doesn’t frustrate but only lures you on in the hope of finding out more.

I think my mouth was left hanging open at the end of A Beautiful Dark. Just as we discover how cool Skye really is the reader is sucker-punched and left wanting sooo much more. Correction. NEEDING to know so much more.

There has to be a sequel right??!!

Five Massive Massive Stars!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Dark.

message 1: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Awww yeah!! I hope it's good I can't wait for this one:)

Samantha Young I'm just about to start it, I hope it's good too. It sounds good! And I love cover art. I'll let you know how it goes :-)

message 3: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Great review! I knew this was gonna be a good one!! Can't wait to read it:))

Samantha Young It's fab, Maria, I'm sure you'll love it! :-)