Isaac Blevins's Reviews > The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Mar 20, 08

bookshelves: ya-literature
Recommended for: children, children at heart, puzzle fans
Read in February, 2008

I read this little book for the first time not as a child - but as an adult. I was looking for a book to kick off our Junior High book club and picked up the Westing Game to see if it might be a good place to begin.
I wish that I had found this book earlier in my life. What kid wouldn't be captivated by wonderful characters thrown together to play a game hosted by a dead millionaire? Don't get me wrong...Mr. Westing isn't a vampire or a zombie - he's just decided that his heirs need to do a little puzzle solving in order to earn their share of his estate. While the mystery and the puzzles are fun and wonderfully clever, it's the characters that really make this novel.
All of the characters reside and work in the same high rise apartment building within view of the looming Westing estate. Getting snowed in with them is like being trapped with the most interesting people you could imagine - both good and bad. By the end of the novel it's almost like you're part of a family reunion you know these people so well.

Do yourself a favor - if you're a kid: pick up this book and have a wonderful time!
- if you're an adult: pick up this book and enjoy being a kid again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westing Game.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san wow cool review!!! I want to read it!!! Sounds good!!!!

Emily I totally agree with your review. In fact, I owned this book when I was about 11 and read it so many times over the years that the cover fell off. Even when I knew the ending and plot, I fell in love with the characters and seemed to find new clues and foreshadowing with each read. GREAT BOOK!

message 3: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy I'm looking to teach this book in the classroom. Though, not currently employed, I hope to create a unit plan around this book. Something adaptable through the ages- can you tell me if this book will be good for grades 7-12? Or, is it really just for 7th and 8th graders?

It sounds really interesting, and I'm looking to do a unit on mysteries, so this excited me, but now I'm getting upset that it might be too kiddish.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Conner shireman Would this work for an advanced reader - third grade? I'm always trying to find good adventure books for my grandson.

Anja Comerford I taught this book a few years ago with my 4th grade GATE kids. Like some others on here, I only discovered this book as an adult! Love it!

message 6: by Shandra (new)

Shandra Loved this book! My 6th grade teacher read this aloud to the class, and we all enjoyed this book.