Mitch's Reviews > Ecstasy and Me: My Life as a Woman

Ecstasy and Me by Hedy Lamarr

Jul 06, 11

Being an old movie fan I am angry and shocked at myself for never watching a single Hedy Lamarr film. After reading her autobiography "Ectasy and Me: My Life as a Woman" I am eager to watch her more acclaimed films.

Hedy Lamarr was an actress known for her beauty, her sex appeal, and also her smarts. In fact, she even has an invention patent (which sadly wasn't even mentioned in her book!). She was married 6 times, addicted to sex (having love affairs with both males and females), and had her children's best interest at heart (so she says). She talks about all aspects of her life, from living in Pre-War Europe, to moving her way up the Hollywood ladder, and eventually spending over $30 million dollars and living day-by-day in a cheap L.A. apartment.

Was I impressed by this book? Yes and no. Although a lot held my interest, I feel like she left out a lot of her life in Europe as well as the patent and I also wish she would have focused on more of her ecounters with other celebrities. Although her transcripts with her doctor bored me, I was very fond of the last chapter where Hedy rambles about her opinions on certain matters on life (even if I didn't agree with some of them!) I reccomend EVERYONE to at least read the last chapter, because some of Hedy's "life advice" stood out to me and made me think, smile, and discover that she may be right on alot of her viewpoints!

Overall, not so bad! Out of all the "classic actress" autos I've read, this ranks among the best along with Esther Williams.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ecstasy and Me.