Colleen's Reviews > A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

F_50x66
Jul 06, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

For the record, I'm an Art Historian who likes to exercise the left side of her brain every once in a while, so this review is geared towards the less scientific who are thinking about delving into the world of physics. I'm only about halfway through, but what I can say is that so far it has given both the left AND the right hemispheres a thorough work out, but in the best if-you're-not-sore-you're-not-doing-it-right kind of way. Hawking explicitly states in his introduction that he's writing this for all levels of scientific knowledge and, while that may be true, I think anyone below a scholarly level of physics education would be challenged because, for one thing, these are revolutionary, experimental theories even in the physics world! I'm already feeling so rewarded for really engaging with his theories to the best of my limited abilities, but at the very least A Brief History of Time gives a succinct chronological rundown of the history of basic theoretical physics which, as it turns out, is pretty useful! I would highly recommend picking up a copy, but don't be discouraged if you have to read a paragraph twice (or 5 times before flipping back the page and starting the section over!) before you get what he's on about!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Time.