sarafem's Reviews > Three Wishes

162057
Mar 20, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, five-stars, juvenile-nonfiction
Read in March, 2008

Ellis interviews children growing up in wartime Israel and Palestine about their lives and their three wishes for themselves. It is enlightening to read their stories and hear their perspectives, trying to understand them based on the information their families and society have given them. Some children speak of hope and hopelessness in the same breath. Children who have never met anyone outside of their own ethnicity fear difference because their parents tell them to. Children with beautiful smiles talk of peace while simultaneously spouting hatred. The rich say the poor don't give them enough, and the poor just want a home and a family but can't have it. Every child knows someone who has been shot or blown up. Children who don't have to speak out against prejudice and hatred and try to do beautiful things in a broken land.

It is eyeopening to see what these children live with every day, and while listening to their stories you start to understand how we shape our children with our love and our fears, and how even young people can make a difference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Wishes.