James's Reviews > The Quantum Thief

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

Jul 06, 2011

liked it
Recommended for: someone looking for an update to Neuromancer
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

The resurgence of science fiction on my reading shelf has been enlightening. The days of robots, green-tentacled aliens, cyborgs, and the matrix have been supplanted by stories like this where the fabric of reality is woven with technology and man's intention to filter it, manipulate his interactions with it, and in general pretty much master it. Science fiction has entered a wonderfully new and heady age. This reminded me of David Louis Edelman's Jump 225 trilogy.

The writing is sharp, the mind leaps are fantastic. The book delighted me with its exploration of what it means to maintain digital privacy, going so far as to depict fully controlled privacy on a person to person basis - someone standing right next to you can be blinded to you. A heist stealing access to an individual's past, the main character's, by breaking into his own memory castles. Structures built entirely of his past experience in another...life. In the future we are downloadable, we are eternal, and we have to pick and chose when we'll be active in the worlds above. Technology, privacy, memory, and self. Everything with a preference panel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quantum Thief.