Rea's Reviews > Immortal Beloved

Immortal Beloved by Cate Tiernan

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, favourites
Read in July, 2011

Nas is an immortal and able to channel magics. One night, her best friend cripples an innocent man using magics and Nas realises that her life has gone off the tracks and she needs to get control over it again. She finds shelter at a place for rehabilitaing immortals where everyone wants to help her to find her inner peace. But she still has to come to terms with who she is, her past and her present.

I was unsure about this book in the beginning. The first chapter was about Nas's party kids group, taking drinking and "fun" too far, resulting in a horrible incident that none of them did anything about. After that it gets very repetitive for a while, where Nas becomes her own worst enemy. It improved vastly around the page 100 mark.

It's a storyline that's been worked before, but I enjoyed it a lot with its tweaks. I would have liked a less obvious antogonist (once Nas had stopped being both the protagonist and the antagonist) as it would have given the story that extra twist if it had been someone you'd never have expected who meant Nas harm.

I'm looking forward to the second book in the trilogy and seeing where the author will take it from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal Beloved.

07/07/2011 page 185
44.0% "A bit repetitive but a very interesting concept."