Michelle Lemaster's Reviews > Brooklyn

Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: coming-of-age, favorites, love, mostly-literary-book-club-books, immigrant-lit
Recommended to Michelle by: Mostly Literary Book Club
Read in July, 2011 , read count: 1

Oh man... this one got me. Written, as my friend Donna would describe, in a BBC, counting matchsticks style, about a post-WWII young,Irish immigrant woman, newly transplanted in Brooklyn, has a way of sneaking up on you and grabbing one's heart. Well, it grabbed mine anyway!

Toibin's writing style reminds me much of other subtle yet engrossing books. Old Filth, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, and Olive Kitteridge come to mind. Perhaps it is a Brittish style. I don't quite know how to describe its special quality, but each of these books I thought would be boring ended being some of the best character studies (for lack of a better term), I have yet read.

There won't be a spoiler alert, but I do have to say the ending left me wanting more. Some might think the ending is annoying, while others might enjoy Eilis' final decisions being left to one's imagination, the only way to end the book. I know for me, I found it so hard to want two such distinctly different endings both so badly!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brooklyn.