Jennie's Reviews > The Three Little Javelinas

The Three Little Javelinas by Susan Lowell

F_50x66
Jul 06, 11

Age: 3-8

Genre: Bilingual picture book/ folk traditional tale

Diversity: Bilingual (Spanish/English)

Illustrations: Detailed images of the main characters and the desert setting. Anthropomorphized yet realistic depictions of the javelinas and coyote. Illustrations on pages opposite the text and smaller ones on pages containing text.

Personal Response: Having grown up in the Sonoran desert I appreciate the detail of the images. The story itself is an updated version of the three little pigs and I enjoyed the modifications. Tumbleweeds instead of straw, cactus ribs instead of sticks and mud adobe bricks.

Curriculum: This book would be a great addition to a program designed to teach young children about the desert southwest in a fun manner. It could also be used in conjunction with lessons about the native peoples of the southwest as well as in an ESL setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Little Javelinas.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Veronica I read this one as my folktale as well. It was recommended to me by my boyfriend, who sort of grew up with the story.

I agree with what you say, Jennie. I also liked the modifications made to the story. I also liked the inclusion of the many cultures that make up the Southwest.

I don't however, consider this to be a bilingual book. Mabye it's just the edition I read, but all of it was in English, except for two words.

Also, I found the illustrations a tad off putting, though I don't believe they would be for children. I usually find when something looks so stereotypical, like the cowboyo dress the javelinas wear, it will be stereotypical in other fashions. I was glad to find that was not the case.

I think this would make a great storytime, especially as an introduction to other parts of America, or exposure to new cultures.