librariantracy's Reviews > Blood

Blood by K.J. Wignall

Jul 06, 2011

bookshelves: ya, paranormal
Read in July, 2011

William, Earl of Mercia, has been "undead" (his preferred term to describe a vampire) and frozen at the age of 16 for over 750 years. He has been in and out of hibernation for all those centuries and seen his earldom given to his younger brother and then crumble as famine, plague and wars have given way to modern society. When he awakes from hibernation in the present day, he discovers that this awakening is unlike any other. He soon meets Eloise, and finds his fate intertwined with that of the runaway teen. With her help, he learns more about his past and why he was bitten. He also learns that he is no longer alone in this world.

This book was quite the refreshing read for a YA paranormal novel. While it is set in the modern day, the backstory goes into the 13th century - a time of superstition and fear about anything not normal. Witch-burnings were common then and the theme of witchcraft has been woven in nicely. It was a fast read and really kept me going, trying to guess where the author was going to take me. While there is the slight element of romance, it is downplayed and is not the dominant theme in the book.

I think this will be a very popular YA series and I'm already looking forward to seeing what book #2 in the trilogy will bring!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood.