MandyM's Reviews > Luck in the Shadows

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: m-m-romance, fantasy
Read from September 16 to 18, 2011

Loved it! An epic Swords and Sorcery tale about Alec, an innocent young woodsman and Seregil, the spy and thief who rescues him then takes him as an apprentice. We slowly learn about this entrancing fantasy world during their perilous journey to the capital Rhiminee, as Alec teases tales from his roguish mentor. Noble and ignoble secondary characters are introduced and intrigue and secrets abound.

This is a classic in the m/m fantasy genre. There is no romance in this first volume. Alec is only sixteen after all. But the bond between the two MC's is strengthened as they come through their many trials. Jenre's review sums the book up perfectly.

Moving swiftly onto book 2...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luck in the Shadows.

09/26/2011 page 260
54.0% "Finally started. Purely a fantasy novel at this stage and I can understand the huge numbers of fans this book has. It's fantastic."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Oh, you definitely have to tell me what you think of this one. Seems like a really popular book. :)

MandyM I haven't started yet but I'm looking forward to it.! I'm still on Magic Slays (m/f) which is great.:)

Kaje Harper I loved Magic Slays, but I also love this series.

message 4: by MandyM (last edited Sep 26, 2011 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MandyM Yeah they're very different aren't they. One is a very 21st century type of urban fantasy with kick ass heroine and the other, even though it has gay characters, is very much old school fantasy. Loved them both.

Feliz I loved the second book even more than the first. The third is also good, but slightly different - and to my opinion, the series went downstream with the fourth and fifth issue. Granted, the latter are written only recently ten years after the first three, but still...I was disappointed.

message 6: by MandyM (last edited Sep 27, 2011 12:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MandyM Have you read the recent series of shorts called Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories? There's one about Alec and Seregil and their first night together. I read on the website that it's set after the end of book 2 and I' really tempted to try it after I finish Stalking Darkness.;)