Andreea Daia's Reviews > Children of Paranoia

Children of Paranoia by Trevor Shane

Jul 25, 11

bookshelves: arc, thriller, read-2011, tenebrific
Read from July 21 to 25, 2011

******Full Disclosure**** This was an ARC copy, that was received through the GoodReads Advance program. I am grateful for the chance to have read this novel, which I might not have purchased otherwise.
------

7/24/11
I'm on page 243 as I write this first part of my review, but I thought I would write a few comments down before I forget them.

So far the reading had been mostly fast-paced and interesting. There is a war that had been stealthily going on for the last few hundreds of years. No one really knows what started it and most folks don't even care anymore. As long as they're born in one of the families that are part of the war, all that matters is that they can die anytime. Hence taking down the other side first becomes imperative.

The main characters of this novel are called Joseph and Maria. I might be wrong, but based on the first page of the book, their child's name is Christopher. Since I don't believe in coincidences, I imagine Christopher is the one that will end the war, be the savior. I'm still not sure that telling the end of the trilogy from almost the very beginning of the first book was a good idea...

Anyways, the main issue I have - and indeed it is a serious one - is the whole pretext of the book: Joseph writes his memoirs for Maria, in order to explain to her his life and the choices he made. The problem is that he tells her every single detail of their encounters, in spite of the fact that she was there. It is completely unrealistic! I understand that he would explain to her his feelings or impressions, but repeating to her every single line of their conversation and every gesture that she made doesn't make absolutely any sense; she was there after all. With every occurrence of phrases like "you said," "you looked at," "you did," "you grabbed," etc, reading becomes increasingly annoying.

I'm really sad to criticize the novel for something seemingly as minor as this, particularly because overall the book is definitely good, but I already find difficult to go ahead reading it because of this issue.
------

7/25/11
I'm going to rate it 3.5 stars and round it up to 4 for its potential. The book got better toward the end. I found the whole dynamic of the plot rather fascinating: in most action novels, the events spike toward the end. However, in Children of Paranoia the time slows down in the end, it even has gaps. The reader lives under the impression that everything will be all right, that finally Joe fell under the radar. Then everything moves fast forward in the last few (less than 10) pages. (view spoiler)

The best thing of "Children of Paranoia" is the depth of detail regarding Joseph's character. The fact that the story is told from his point of view renders him believable, full of nuances. The only part that I found quite unlikely was his reaction to (view spoiler). I would have expected anything from rage to sorrow to bewilderment or simply shock. "I'll always love you" is most definitely not a viable reaction.

To end my review, Trevor Shane creates a parallel world that is most of the time convincing and frightening.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Paranoia.

07/21/2011 page 85
22.0% "Very good so far. Not dystopia though... Maybe a thriller."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Trevor Shane It was fun following your review through its stages as you read. Obviously, all authors want nothing but 5-star reviews but I found your critiques thought provoking and was glad you enjoyed it by the end. I hope you enjoyed it enough to continue through the trilogy.

Andreea Daia I will especially since the ending was quite inciting. Also unlike other reviewers, I thought that the first chapters were some of the best.

Good luck!

message 3: by Amber J. (new) - added it

Amber J. this review made me want to buy the book, so I did lol, just waiting for it to arrive...but concerning your critique about too much detail in his memoirs -- maybe it's because he's writing for his son as well, so he'll know how his parents lived and loved