Yona's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Jul 29, 2013

bookshelves: love-books, favorites, heart-breaking-and-beautifully-writ
Read in August, 2011

description

The moment i started reading it, i knew Stolen is from these books, which you don't want to read, because of their end, because they make you sad and you just want to cry, but in the same time they are so beautifully written, so wonderful and touching that you can't help yourself.

The book is written like a letter from Gemma to Ty.
Ty is watching Gemma since she was 10 years old. So many years ago they meet in a park and he can't stop thinking about her, he is around when he can, watching her and making sure she is OK and save. And then in one moment he realizes that he want her to be with him in Australia. So he kidnapped her from the Bangkok Airport. He wants to teach her to love the land and him.

description

The kidnapping part is wrong i know that, but it didn't feel wrong all the time. Ty thought he was saving Gemma from a life she don't want to live, he was always there to protect her, when she needed to be saved from something. Her parents wants her to be like them, but this is not what she wants.
So Ty changed that in a wrong way but still he thought he is protecting her and helping her.
He had a very hard life, most of it he was alone, he have only the land, he suffered a lot. He never had friends and someone to take care for him. And when he meets Gemma he thinks he could go back to Australia and be with her forever.

description

They had so good moments with the kangaroos and the camels. He is trying to do everything for her to make her feel comfortable, to show her the beauty of everything around. And the moment in his painting shed - it was so wonderful. The painting has a heart on it own. It showed Ty in a completely different light, a wonderful one. Or when he was having a nightmare it showed his vulnerable side.

description

And in the end Gemma saw all this, she felt the connection with the land and it's beauty and Ty. And her dream about going back in in the Separates is so beautiful and sad.

description

I hated the end, i want a happy one, but i know it is impossible, because of everything.
She did the right thing, but it feels wrong too, because Ty did the right thing in the end, when he got to the plane with her, because she wanted it. He knew what is going to happen with him, but he still did it . I just can't hate him, i can't.

description

I read these few sentences a few times and every time I just want to start crying , They are so beautiful - words full of hope for something better one day, not to far away i hope. And perhaps somehow there is still an opportunity for them to be together someday...
(view spoiler)

description

Ok i stop writing now, too much emotions and feelings.
Read this book it is really wonderful!!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

08/01/2011 page 63
show 2 hidden updates…

Ayman i have read this one.... intense, dramatical and all... even though the major part is in a desert it isn,t dry... the last part is sad and confusing because the reader thinks that Gemma in.... aw .. i dont want to spoil the suspense... read on...:-);-)

Ayesha The ending will definitely make one cry... Sorry,but that's what it is..:(

Jesca I totally agree , i wish Ty and gem could be together but I know it would be impossible maybe in different circumstances

Jesca Dahhh I posted my comment to early anyway if it was in different circumstances I believe that they would be possible for them to be together. I blame the stupid snake hisssss.......

Yona After all this time, i still can't hate him. I just want them to be together ;( :(