Holly's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Jan 18, 14

bookshelves: audio, 2011-reads
Read from July 06 to 15, 2011

Wonderfully droll (and sometimes hilarious) tone and thought-provoking subject matter. Listened to the audiobook read by the author himself, and was hooked after only a few minutes; then when Ronson started talking about Douglas Hofstadter and Scientologists I had to think "I am so lucky to be listening to this book!" I learned about how the original DSM was created - how arbitrary all those diagnoses are - and that's (can I say:) depressing. I should write a thoughtful review but I am pressed for time, so I will quote Laura Miller at Salon:
[Ronson is] not afraid to play the feckless neurotic for laughs, but that doesn't obscure the serious questions raise by his investigations. Psychiatric diagnoses (and, these days, the medications that follow) really can become fads, with certain experts suddenly deciding that multiple personality disorder or childhood bipolar disorder are far more common that ever before suspected. Ronson even finds the occasion for a little professional soul-searching; he accuses himself and other journalists of being the Goldilocks of craziness, seeking out people to write about who are just nuts enough to be colorful but not so disturbed that they're downright sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.