Isabella's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from August 18 to 20, 2011

After reading "Divergent" I felt a strange feeling. I couldn't make up my mind about this book (and still I can't), but I struggled with it and in the end I decided to write down few "points" that would have helped me.

Divergent talks about Betrice Prior (later Tris), a blonde and (the author loves to remind every single time) pretty short sixteen-year-old girl that is going to make the "choice" of her life. She'll decide either to be a Candor, an Erudite, a Dauntless, an Amity, or to stay with her family in the Abnegation faction.
Beatrice chose the Dauntless faction, and starts her training to be a fearless woman, with the help of new friends and the fascinating Four.

From the moment Tris meet Four, everything that come next is all about clashes, gunfire, despair, love, clashes, gunfire, despair, love, clashes, gunfire, despair... ok, you got it.
I believe that, before writing this book, Veronica Roth thought about few things, that could be write in this order:
1.I like The Hunger Games
2.I want to write a dystopian book.
3.Everybody wants to dystopian books.
...
=bestseller book -> Everybody's happy.

Well, how to blame her?

I liked Divergent 'cause, after all, I love the union of clashes, despair and love wrote in an enjoyable way. But I didn't like all the characters. Four is the most interesting, while I didn't really like Tris (I didn't like fellow characters at all).
The worst was the end, where the author picked up speed and killed way too many characters without hesitation.

I think I'll read the next installment, "Insurgent". Hoping Roth will do a better job with her characters and, why not, with the plot too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

08/18/2011 page 65
08/19/2011 page 285
57.0% "I can't stop reading this book, but I'm not completely in love with Tris... it's strange, it's more like a drug"
show 1 hidden update…