Rhiannon's Reviews > How the Mistakes Were Made: A Novel

How the Mistakes Were Made by Tyler Mcmahon

Jan 25, 13

bookshelves: rock-star, read-in-2011, owned, firstreads
Read in December, 2011 — I own a copy

This book came really close to being awesome - but, sadly, it got a tiny bit bogged down with a few "rock band" cliches. It also has the disadvantage of being published too soon after that amazing rock-band-powerhouse-novel, A Visit From The Goon Squad, and I can't help but think it will draw comparisons (did for me, I read them within a few months of one another).

But, I would still recommend it for alt-music fans, because it gives you one of those 90s punk-grunge rock stories that you didn't know you secretly craved.

The main character is strong most of the time - the only time the characterization faltered for me was in the descriptions of her supersexyhot body and in her sexual exploits... when I thought to myself - yes, this was definitely written by a dude. Otherwise, I liked her voice, her story, her tone - almost everything about her. And rest assured, she was not written to be likeable. She's written to be the gritty, standoffish bitch that looks good playing a telecaster.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Mistakes Were Made.

01/27/2012 page 92