Kari's Reviews > The Dark and Hollow Places

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Feb 29, 12

bookshelves: abc-reading-challenge-2012
Read from February 26 to 28, 2012

Oh Annah. Honestly, I think Annah reminds me more of Mary {from The Forest of Hands and Teeth} than Abigail/Gabry does, even though Gabry was raised by Mary. Or maybe its just because its been so long since I read the first two books that my faded memories of Gabry and Mary are just no comparison to Annah. One thing they all have in common: They're fighters. They might not start out as fighters {I don't remember Mary or Gabry being fighters in the beginning of their stories, but, like I said, its been a while since I read those}.

I know I haven't review the other two books in this series {I say series, because I honestly hope Carrie Ryan writes another letting us know what happens next}, so writing about this if you haven't read them might be a bit of a spoiler. I mean, you now know that Mary lives, as well as Gabry. And Catcher. And, by the description, you know Catcher makes it to Annah in the Dark City.

This book had the least interaction with the Unconsecrated, which is nice in some ways but at the same time kind of taking a step back from the other books. In all of the books they're looking for another place that is safe from the Unconsecrated, but the first two the characters never really look at the world as a whole - they don't have the resources to. In this book, Annah learn while being locked away in the Sanctuary {that is anything but} that the Recruiters have gone out through most of the country and have searched for places that have heald up against the Unconsecrated and found very few. In fact, by the time Gabry, Elias, Catcher and Annah are all at the Sanctuary, the leader of the Recruiters tells her that tiny island is all that's left of the uninfected world {of course minus Catcher, since he's Immune but carrying the infection}.

The thing I both liked the most, yet somehow the least, with this book was how Ryan built the relationships of the characters. Yes, there was always the undercurrent of love/teen angst in the first two books, but those seemed centered more on survival. The love and relationship aspect of those were put on hold for the more overwhelming "my word, the infection is spreading, run, run run!" aspect of the books. In this one, since they're trapped on an island that's pretty well fortified against the Unconsecrated, there really isn't a whole lot of zombie chases or catching your breath as you read about them getting away only to discover they are right next to a sleeping horde, just far enough that the Unconsecrated can't catch the scent of uninfected human flesh. Oh no. This book is about horrible, uninfected men who are using Annah, Gabry and Elias to keep Catcher coming back with supplies. The thing that surprised me the most was the fact that ~*~SPOILER~*~ Ryan didn't kill off any of the four main characters. She's always killing off the main characters or people they love dearly. The Recruiters were constantly telling Annah that they only need one of them to "keep Catcher tethered and doing what we want." It just seemed natural that that would be the best excuse Ryan could have for killing one of them off. Of course, I guess that would have been the easy way out, killing at least one or two of them off. Not that I wanted to see any of them die...

The book does end on a happy note, and is rumored to be the last in the series {so, really, its a trilogy}. However, it just kind of ends. A lot of questions are left unanswered, but most of the main ones are addressed. However, we don't know if Catcher can spread the disease {my guess is no, because I think Annah accidentally ingested some of his blood... read the book and you'll know why}, we don't know if there is any life outside of the Sanctuary other than the few people Catcher was able to keep alive in the Dark City after it was overrun. My biggest question is this: Carrie Ryan, are you going to answer all those questions you posed, or just leave us hanging?

This was an interesting series, and I would suggest it to people even if they aren't into the whole zombie thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark and Hollow Places.

02/27/2012 page 300