Susan E's Reviews > The Emperor's Children

The Emperor's Children by Claire Messud

Apr 20, 08

bookshelves: 2008-read, music-widows-book-group
Read in April, 2008

I was forewarned about this book, yet it was something we were reading for my book group, so I found my way through it... I am sorry I did.

Seldom has a novel been so annoying and offensive to me. The author created completely unlikeable characters that she seemed to hold in distain as well. She had to tell the reader why they were flawed, too, instead of letting us figure it out on our own. She had unkind things to say about the part of NY I hail from, making the most vexing characters come from there as well.

And the idea that attending a well-known Ivy League college was the only way to be successful and important in NYC... like Manhattan is the center of the universe. Obviously, it was for these characters... if they were real people, I would feel sorry for them.

The first 411 pages seemed like backstory for 9/11. I kept waiting for this pivotal moment, thinking the whiny folks I had come to detest might redeem themselves in some way. But no.

I would put this book right into my "To Sell" pile... instead, I may just abandon it on the side of the road somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Children.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karetchko (new)

Karetchko I wasn't very impressed by this book, but hey--it mentions Oswego! And Watertown!

Susan E ah, well, it is a book group selection. We'll see how it goes...

Can't think of Watertown without remembering what Harry Chapin said about it: "I spent a week there one afternoon."