Susan E's Reviews > The View from Mount Joy

Mar 27, 08

liked it
bookshelves: 2008-read
Read in March, 2008

I've read all of Lorna Landvik's books, after a woman at the hospice house where I work said Patty Jane's House of Curl was one of her all-time favorite books. And, I'm the sort of reader that once I get hooked on someone's writing, I tend to read everything they have written and continue to write (with a few exceptions... Anne Rice lost me awhile back, as did Sue Miller).

This story has a male, first-person narrator, which doesn't always work for me when a woman is the author. And for the first part of the book, I was wondering when I might feel a connection to him, and when his relationship with a female high school classmate turned evagelist was going to make sense. And I don't think that relationship did ever make sense, yet Landvik has a way of pulling a story together in the end, so that I am left with warm fuzzies after what I felt was not her best book. It's more than she tied up all the loose ends and everyone lived happily ever after... it's like we got enough of the story to feel like everyone we might have gotten attached to will be okay, and it's okay to leave them now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The View from Mount Joy.