Ellie's Reviews > Interpreter of Maladies

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Mar 21, 08

This book of short stories won the Pulitzer Prize; an amazing feat, since it was Lahiri's 1st published work. The author was raised in the US, a daughter of Indian immigrants. Each story takes place either in India, or in the USA with the characters being Indian immigrants. I loved each story more than the last, and could barely put this book down. Very highly recommended! Note: a couple of the stories are 'R' rated, with sex scenes, but nothing terribly graphic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interpreter of Maladies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (new)

Leigh is this so sad and depressing, like other middle eastern reads?

Ellie Actually, I haven't read any middle eastern books, so I'm not sure how it would compare. The saddest story is the first one, about a couple who are grieving over a stillborn child. I loved this story, and felt really more empathy than sadness.

Ellie Thanks for your comment, Elise. Nice to meet you! I see that East of Eden is one of your favorites. I finished that recently. What a powerful and beautiful book. I'll have to check out some of your Middle Eastern themed recommendations.

message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Elise - did you read The Kite Runner? That's the only Middle Eastern book I have read and it was just too sad for me. Are the ones you've recommended like it? (I didn't want to check out all of your books to see if you've read that one!) Thanks.