Ellie's Reviews > The Namesake

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Apr 27, 08

I felt so bereft after I finished reading Interpreter of Maladies (by the same author) that I jumped right into this novel. It begins with an arranged marriage in Calcutta, India. The young bride, Ashima, is required to move to Boston with her new husband, who is attending graduate school. It follows the lives of this couple and their children, as they survive American culture while clinging to traditions from their own. Their children are born as Americans and are therefore fully immersed in both cultures, and somewhat torn between them. The son is embarrassed at his parents' old-fashioned ways and has an American girlfriend that he keeps secret from the family. There's way more to this story, so read the book: it's excellent! By the way, I found the son to selfish almost to the point of being unlikeable, but he grows and changes into a much better person by the end of the book.

This book was made into a movie, which I saw after reading the book. It's a beautiful film, but I would read the book first, to fully understand what you're going to see in the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Namesake.