Beth's Reviews > The Trail of the Lonesome Pine

The Trail of the Lonesome Pine by John Fox Jr.

Jul 01, 2013

Read from July 06 to 25, 2011

I love Appalachian fiction. My grandmother recommended this book to me. She read it in grade school and she said it would help me to know what it was like when she was growing up. I loved it. I loved reading about the way of life in the mountains back then. I found it interesting that once June left it changed her and she could never really go back again and be completely happy. A common theme in novels, she was now stuck between worlds. I often think my own grandmother felt this way once she left the mountains for city life.

I appreciate Appalachian fiction like this that shows the beauty and depth of the culture of the region. It's characters also have depth, and we begin to understand why they feud. Fox explains why it is such a part of their way of life instead of depicting the stereotypical Hatfield and McCoy feuding hillbillies. We learn of their traditions, their beliefs, and their family pride.

I loved this book, and maybe it's my connection to the area. The fictional Gap that this took place in is described as very close to where my family comes from, so there was a definite personal cord that this story struck. I recommend it to lovers of Appalachian fiction.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.