Scarlet's Reviews > Anne's House of Dreams

Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Jul 05, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read in July, 2011

I needed something to listen to last weekend and this book was available. Good grief, it was awful. The narrator made an already sentimental narrative unbearably mawkish. Captain Jim is a sexist pig. I fail to see why everyone likes him, plus the narrator gave him a Southern accent, for all love. Maybe PEI rustics have a similar accent, but I rather doubt it.

Also, Montgomery's research into trepanning was pretty minimal at best. If trepanning was a fairly well-known practice in 1801, when Stephen Maturin was performing them (and Wikipedia tells me it actually dates back to Neolithic times), then Gilbert Blythe shouldn't be proposing it as a newfangled technology in the early 20th century. Also, I'm unsure how relieving subdural pressure could do anything about amnesia.

The saving grace is, as usual, Montgomery's love of PEI. Her descriptions of its natural beauty are outstanding. And she does small towns very well.

This book was fine when I was in middle school, but does not hold up to an adult re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne's House of Dreams.